SEPTEMBER 24, 2017 : MATTHEW 6: 25-34 “Worry…Champion or Chump?”
Worry affects each and every one of us. If I were to ask by a show of hands, “Who worried about
Facts about Worry:
- Half of all the people in America’s hospital beds are constant worriers.
- 43% of all adults suffer health effects due to worry and stress.
- 75% – 90% of all visits to primary care physicians are stress-related complaints or disorders.
- Worry has been linked to all the leading causes of death including heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis and suicide.
- Stress is said to be responsible for more than half of the 550 million workdays lost annually because of absenteeism…43% of all employee turnover is related to job stress.
- Add to the list the mental fatigue of nights without sleep and days without peace, and we get a glimpse of the havoc worry plays in destroying the quality and quantity of life.
Matthew 6:25-34“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Verse 25 says, “Therefore, I tell you do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes?
- The Greek word translated, “Do not worry” literally means, “Do not be drawn in different directions!”
- Worry Literally Pulls You Apart. We are pulled apart because we try to live our lives by depending on material wealth and resources. Jesus was saying God has built into His Creation the means by which all things are cared for.
To Not Worry does not mean to Not Take Action as Needed…For example, if you said I’m not going to worry about what I will eat – what I will wear – my house, my job…It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t fix your kids a meal or that you keep your cloths clean no matter the shape or you don’t take care of your house.
Verse 26 says “look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?”
Vs 28-29 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin, yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was not dressed like one of these”.
It is our “little faith” that hinders GOD from working as He would. He has great blessings for us if only we will yield to Him and live for the things which truly count. Lilies grow from a deep root. The roots are where they belong, in the soil to receive nourishment…The Roots of Believers are to put their roots where they belong, in God and His righteousness.
KEY TRUTH: Worry puts YOU in the same category as those who Don’t Know God! Vs 32 The pagans run after all these things & your heavenly father knows that you need them.
- Worry is just another form of Meditation! You can Choose to Meditate on Your Problems or You can Meditate on God’s Word and His Promises to Provide for YOU!
- Worry is, and always will be, a fatal disease of the heart, its beginning signals the end of faith.
- When we allow our problems to overshadow God’s promises, we unknowingly doom ourselves to a defeat that was never part of God’s eternal plans.
In Christ…We are to look and live differently than one who doesn’t know God.
- Christians and non-Christians get the same challenges, trials and illnesses because God wants to show the world that a Christian lives and responds differently to the worries and challenges of life.
- The believer responds by resting and relying on God to provide no matter the circumstances.
Vs 33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- When we seek first the Kingdonm of God…He Takes Care of the rest!
Verse 34 says “therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own”.
Note: It doesn’t say for us to worry about today either, but God is saying why look ahead and worry about things that haven’t yet happened and that you can’t even control because you don’t know if you will make it through this day.
Philippians 4:6: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, With “Thanksgiving” (This is the KEY), present your request to God”.
- We need to pray about every need, situation and problem in our lives with a heart of Thankfulness.
- When you hear you may lose your job…or have a serious health problem…Hit Your Knees because…God already has a plan! God will take care of You.
Philippians 4:7 gives us the result, “And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
The result of giving your cares to God…Peace of Mind! You also stay healthier, physically and mentally because God guards your heart and your mind.
Here’s what I want you to take home with you today…God Gives each of us problems in life so that He can grow us.
James 1:2-4 “2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
- Worry puts YOU in the same category as those who Don’t Know God!
It is Your “little faith” that Hinders GOD from working as He Wants to in Your Life!
- He Loves You and has great blessings for YOU if You’ll yield to His Plan and Put Your Trust in Him!
Just as Lilies grow from a deep root. Your Roots are not to be in what You can do…Rather, Let Your Roots go deep into Gods Word and get nourishment and encouragement from His Promises to You.
The Outcome…I Promise You this…You Will have God’s Peace in every situation! Plus, As People see you respond to each trial Trusting God…They will be encouraged to do the same!
There is No Greater Testimony than Letting People See You Trust God in the midst of a struggle or trial! God will use Your Testimony to Draw others to Himself!