AUGUST 12 THE TIME OF JACOB’S TROUBLE, Matthew 24:1-14
Matthew 24: 1-14: Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; everyone will be thrown down.” 3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” 4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many.6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains. 9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
This Text Tells Us How The Tribulation Commences: First, There will be a rise in the appearance of those claiming to be the way of salvation. False Christ’s and false prophets will rise up during the Tribulation.
- The Anti-Christ will deceive the world into believing that he is god and he will demand and receive the worship of men! During the Tribulation, Doctrine will be ignored & people deceived. The Antichrist will deceive the world by ushering in a time of peace.
Vs 6-7 says, The Tribulation period will be marked by Social Devastation…And increased instability of society: There will be an increase in warfare and the hostilities between nations. The false peace instituted by the Antichrist will not last and will be replaced by a devastating Global War!
There is a marked increase of hatred towards the Jewish people in today’s society. The Palestinians and the Arabs would love nothing more than the total destruction of the nation of Israel.
Vs 7 says, This Time Will Be Marked By Desperation! There will be “famine” during the Tribulation.
Rev. 6:5-6. “When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6 Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”
The black horse speaks of death. The balances refer to a careful rationing of food. A “penny” was a day’s wages. A Roman penny would purchase 8 measures of wheat or 24 measures of barley…In other words, the food supply will be 1/8th of what it is normally.
Vs 7 says, This Time Will Be Marked By Diseases: “Pestilence”. Rev. 6:8: “I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.” 25% of the world’s population will die at one point in time.
- Vs 7 says, This Time Will Be Marked By Disasters: Jesus says that there will be earthquakes and natural disasters during these early years of the Tribulation.
- Vs 10-12 say This Time Will Be Marked By Disobedience: Falling Away-Apostacy
At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold” The Tribulation will be marked by a total disregard for the sanctity of life, property, or the rights of others.
KEY: If men saw one another as what they are: unique creations, each made in the image of God, it would prevent them from taking the life of another.
The Tribulation will also see an increase in man’s attraction to and indulgence in sin.
- After the church leaves at the rapture, all restraints on society will be removed as well.
- The Holy Spirit Restrains Evil…He lives in the Christians Spirit and When were gone, The Spirit will also be gone. Evil Will Run Rampant!
2 Timothy 3:1-5 “There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.”
We live in a nation where 85% of the population of the United States claims to be Christian. If so, how can 62% of all Americans believe that Bible is Not Totally True? How can that be when 1.5 million unborn babies are aborted in the country in the name of convenience? How can that be when the rate of pre-marital sexual activity in the church is the same as that of the world?
Vs 14 Makes a Declaration of God’s Principle: God Always Saves a Remnant! MANKINDS HOPE
- During the Tribulation, God will raise up 2 separate groups of men who will carry His message to the farthest ends of the globe. Rev. 7:1-8 The 144,000 Jewish men…12,000 from each of the 12 tribes, have been sealed to carry the message of Salvation in Christ, during the Tribulation.
- The Second Group will consist of Two Witnesses – Rev. 11:1-12 Most believe these two men are those in the Old Testament who did not die… Elijah & Enoch…They never died, the Bible says, its appointed unto all men to die and then enter Eternity! These two mystery men will stand at the Wailing Wall outside the newly constructed third temple and they will preach the Word of God.
- Their bodies will lie in the streets of Jerusalem for 3 days while the world watches and celebrates their death. [People use to laugh—Until we had Satellite TV]
- After 3 days God will raise them from the dead and they’ll ascend into Heaven.
Even in this dark hour that will come upon the earth, God will have His men proclaiming His truth to a world that desperately needs to hear it.
- However, You and I still have time to reach the lost…to Keep them from having to go through this terrible Tribulation! Also…Every Day You and I need to say THANK YOU LORD for Your Salvation, knowing that All we face here will pale in comparison to what lies ahead for the world and…
- Let Us Keep Our Eyes on Eternity and the HOPE We Have in Jesus Christ…In the Midst of our Worse Days…When Satan Seeks to Destroy our Bodies, Our Financial Security…or Our Relationships…
- May We KNOW that God Will use these Adversities to Make Us Stronger in HIM…That we will be Perfected for the Day we see Him Face to Face and Enter Eternity!
- May this Truth…Challenge Us to Reach Out to a World that Needs Christ and Share the HOPE we have here today!