SEPT 2, 2018: HEAVEN’S CORONATION DAY 1 COR 3: 10-15
1 Cor. 3:10-15: “By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.”
The Judgment Seat of Christ is an event that is spoken of in several passages of Scripture.
- 2 Cor. 5:10 “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad”.
- Romans 14:10-12. “You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written: “As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’” 12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
These passages refer to a time when every child of God will stand before the Lord Jesus Christ and give an account of their service to the Lord.
Vs 10-13 speak of a DAY OF INTIMATE DISCOVERIES:
- Verse 11 makes it clear that this is an event that is for believers only! In other words, if you haven’t put your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and are living for Him… then you will not be at the Judgment Seat of Christ…Rather, you will either be in the Tribulation or you will already be in Hell.
Vs 10: “By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care
When the Lord saved your soul, He placed you on the foundation of the Lord Jesus Christ. Since the very moment you were saved, you have been building a life that
will either be a thing of Glory or a thing of Disgrace before the Lord…Let me amplify what we are talking about.
- In Paul’s day, every city had a place called the Bema, or judgment seat. It was from this raised platform, in the center of town that announcements were made, judgments rendered and commendations handed out. Ex: Rewards were given out to the winners of the Greek games.
Some were rebuked at the Bema, others were rewarded and blessed. However, there are two issues that will Not be addressed at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Those issues are:
Salvation: No lost person will appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ. There will be another Judgment that take care of the lost sinner. If you’re at the BEMA…You are Saved! Sin was taken care of FOREVER at Calvary when the Lord Jesus died.
John 19:30! “ When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”
What will be dealt with is the manner in which we have lived this earthly life, from the moment of our conversion until the day we died, or were raptured
- It will be about our Stewardship as Christians, how we used the responsibilities, privileges and opportunities we were given by the Lord Jesus as we journeyed through this world.
To accomplish this ministry, the Lord has given each of us certain things. He has given us 24 hours in every day…He has given us money. He has blessed us with gifts and abilities to use for His glory. He has given us opportunities for service and for ministry, and He will require that each of His stewards give an account of their service unto Him when He returns.
Vs-12 “If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,”
Some areas that will be judged by the Lord:
- There are 2 categories of materials from which we can construct our spiritual house. Gold, Silver and Precious Stones. These refer to the kind of works that every believer should have in his/her life as they journey through this world and the Lord will bless in that day.
- Then, there Are Worthless Materials…Wood, Hay and Stubble. Things done out of the will of God, out of a mean spirit, or things that are done out of selfishness…These will be destroyed by flames.
How We Treat Others…How We Exercise Authority Over Others…How We Use Our God-given Abilities…How We Use Our Money…How We Spend Our Time…How Much We Suffer For the Lord…How We Run the Race God Has Chosen For Us…How well We Control The Old Nature…How Many Souls We Witness to and Win to Jesus…How We React To Temptation…How Faithful We Are to The Word of God and To The Flock Of God are a few.
VS-13: “Their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work”
- The Lord’s judgment will burn away All the Stuff that did Not measure UP to His Plan and Standard for Us…The Quality of our Work on Earth will be made public!
- Those who have the appearance of good, However, behind the things they do is a self-serving motive. Their works will burn. There are others who do what they do to glorify God… Like Gold and Silver…Their works will abide!
- Every motive, every work, every secret thought, every self-serving motive will be revealed for all to see! The fire of Christ’s judgment will make the truth known!
VS 14: “If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward.”
Not everything at the Judgment Seat of Christ will be unpleasant…For many, the Judgment Seat of Christ will be the moment when all their trials are made worthwhile…It will literally be their crowning moment!
The Lord Jesus will honor us by giving us rewards for the things we do for Him. The Bible tells us five crowns that are available as rewards to the faithful saint of God.
- The Incorruptible Crown - Awarded for faithfulness to the Lord - 1 Cor. 9:25.
- The Crown of Life – For the person who endures and overcomes temptation – James 1:12.
- The Crown of Rejoicing - This is the soul winners crown - 1 Thess. 2:19.
- The Crown of Righteousness - This will be given to those who anticipate and live in the light of the return of Jesus - 2 Tim. 4:8
- The Crown of Glory -This will be given to the faithful ministers who give themselves to lead and feed the flock of God - 1 Pet. 5:4.
- Some have asked, “Why is He going to give us Crowns?” Revelation 4:9-11 says, So that We can cast those crowns at His feet to honor Him!
VS 15: “If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.”
This will be a painful time believers , Many tears will be shed…Rev. 21:4 says, Jesus Himself will wipe the tears away, and the past life will be remembered no more
There are 2 ways to ruin a good building: A faulty foundation and faulty materials
. Every person needs to determine what foundation they are building on…Only those houses built on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ will stand, Matt. 7:24-27. All others will perish in God’s great wrath. Know You Are Saved!
If you are on the right foundation [Jesus Christ] ask yourself, what kind of materials are you building with? Are you building your spiritual house with a life that will bring Glory to God? Letting God have Control of Your Time, Talents & Treasure!
How You Build Your Life in Christ is Your Choice…But the Reality Remains: Heaven’s Coronation Day is Coming Very Soon…How it turns out is all up to You!