JUNE 16: HOW TO BE A GODLY FATHER IN AN UNGODLY WORLD GEN 5:21-24
The life of Enoch is a great Example of what it takes to be a Godly father…And a Godly Influence.
Genesis 5 Gives Us the Family Lineage from Adam to Noah: Enoch was the Great Grandfather of Noah
Gen 5: 21-24: When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah.22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
- NOTE: Enoch was the only one mentioned that he Walked Faithfully with God.
From Enoch’s Life we see the Principle of how to be a Godly father in an ungodly world that is to simply “Walk With God”. Enoch lived in an “ungodly world”, Yet he Walked with God.
Five Things that it Means to Walk with God:
1-Vs 22: Walking with God Means We Go in Gods Direction! God’s direction is One Way, and Man tends to go the Other Direction. Romans. 3:23 says, “All” Have Sinned.
- In order to walk in God’s direction, we First, need to Repent of our Sins and Receive Gods FREE Gift of Salvation. Enoch was born into sin as we all are…But something happened, that changed his life, that caused him to repent and go in God’s direction.
- Verse 22. Enoch walked with God “after he begat Methuselah”. After the birth of his first son, he turned his life over to God and began to go in God’s direction.
In the midst of busyness and responsibilities we can often run without Allowing God to be at the Center of Our Plans…at the Center of Our Journey.
If You are…I encourage You to Turn from the way You’re running and Go in God’s direction. First by Salvation and then daily Surrendering to what God ask You to do…To Invest Your Life for His Purpose!
2-Walking with God Means to Walk by Faith! Heb.11:5-6 “By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.” For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him”.
Our Text said, “By FAITH Enoch…had pleased God.” Because he had walked by faith. And without faith it is impossible to please God.
So…What does Walking by Faith Mean? It means just that…“Walking by Faith”.
- 2 Cor.5:7 says, “Walk by faith and not by sight”. AND…Hebrews 11:1 says, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
- Basically, it is Confidence that Someone or Something is Reliable 100%.
- Walking by faith means You walk in God’s direction with Total Confidence in Him.
- ***KEY…You don’t have to see around the bends in the road…Because GOD Does.
So, walk in God’s direction, and continue walking in His direction by faith “Listening to the Holy Spirit” and you will be a Godly dad.
- John 16:13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come”.
- Galatians 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
3-Walking with God Means to Share His Companionship! Genesis 5: 21,24
“Walk” is the Biblical expression for fellowship and obedience to the Lord. Walking with God means “Unbroken Communion” and fellowship with God.
Note the text Vs.21 says, “Enoch lived”…and Vs.24 says, “Enoch Walked”… That’s when you really begin to live, when you start walking with God.
- You walk with Him & talk with Him. Enoch was a walker, “Obedient” to Gods Word and Leading. And Enoch was a talker, he spent time talking with God “Prayer”.
4-Walking with God Means to Bear a Strong Witness! JUDE 14-15 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones, to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
He preached against sin, Not only with his lips, but with his life. His Walk was Proof. He left a legacy! Then his boy Methuselah continued preaching the same message, “Judgment is Coming”.
The Question We Need to Ask Ourselves… What Am I Leaving Behind?!
- Does My Talk and My Walk Lead My Family and Friends to a Closer Walk with God?
- Is My Life an Influence that encourages Those Behind me to Walk with God?
- IS MY LIFE INVESTED IN GODS PLAN FOR MY LIFE?
- AM I FAITHFUL TO THE CAUSE OF CHRIST AND HIS MISSION?
5-And Finally, Walking with God Means to Arrive at God’s Destination!
VS.24 The Greek word for “he was not” (Heb.11:5) Translated means he was no more…seen no more. He vanished…Enoch was removed from Earth! Enoch’s Walk Took Him Straight to GLORY.
The Story of Enoch in Genesis 5 is best told by a little girl who came home from Sunday School:
“It seems that every day God would come by Enoch’s house and say ’Enoch would you like to walk with Me?’ And Enoch would come out of the house, go down to the gate, and down the road with God. He got to the place in his life, he enjoyed it so much, he’d wait at the gate every day. And he and God would go for a walk. Then one day, God came by and said, ’Enoch, let’s take a long walk. I have much to tell you.’ So, they were walking and walking and finally Enoch said, ’My it’s getting late in the afternoon. I’d better get back home!’ And God said, ’Enoch, you’re closer to My home than you are to your home; so, you come home with Me.’ So, Enoch went home with God.”
We See a Great Truth Here…As We Make the Time to Be with God…Meditating on His Word and Spending time in Prayer, our desire for Fellowship with God will Grow!
- Enoch’s Choice to Walk with God, Influenced His Family, Friends and His Culture.
- Enoch is a Tremendous Example of What God Desires for Each of Us!
POINT: Your Walk Is Getting You Closer To the Lord or Further Away from Him!
Happy Father’s Day! PD