June 23: HANDOUT 1 Corinthians 15:58 “BE”
After having spent the entire chapter of Corinthians 15 writing about Resurrection, Paul concludes with one of the most magnificent verses the Bible offers us as far as the Correct motivation to Work is concerned.
1 Cor 15:58 NIV “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain”.
In Chapter 15 Paul explained that if Jesus didn’t rise from the dead then Paul is a liar and faith is a waste of time. However, Paul screams Christ has risen from the dead (Apostle = eye witness).
- One day, all who believe and put their trust in Jesus through faith are really living a life that is worth it because we will live forever with Christ!
- Paul says, as we wait for Christ’s Return, We Must BE Motivated to do 3 Things…
#1: Be Strong (“Steadfast”) Steadfast means to be firmly fixed in place or determined.
In Colossians 1:23 Paul says, “You must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly (Be Steadfast!) in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News.” So what does it look like to be steadfast in everyday life?
Know Biblical Truth: Do not be “tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching” (Ephesians 4:14) or “deceived by the serpent”. (2 Corinthians 11:3). Know Gods Word and Stand Upon It!
Live Biblical Truth: 2 Tim 2:15 “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” Read it then Live it.
- Minds and hearts must be shaped and molded by living out God’s Word Daily!
- Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples”. John 8:31
- 2 Peter 1:2 says, “May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord.”
#2: Be Steady (Immovable) Immovable is a lot like being steadfast however immovable means one is “incapable” of being sidetracked (emotionally or physically) from their purpose!
Paul’s desire or purpose for the people was to be unmoved by the false teachers of the day…Ephesians 4:14: “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.” Simply said, “Don’t Be a Wave, Be a WALL!!
ILLUSTRATIOIN: it immovable through the most violent storm with her chicks gathered safely beneath her, that they might be protected from the elements.
- Luke 13:24 “I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.”
- What does it look like to be immoveable/standing strong in our everyday life?
- How can we hold fast to the teachings of Jesus when it seems like everyone is going their own way?
Be in Constant Prayer: Prayer protects us from spiritual anorexia.
- It Fills Us…Fuels Us…and Finds Us!! It protects us in the hardships of life!
- 12 times in scripture Jesus goes to prayer in times of conflict and contemplation!
Be Happy (“Rejoice!”): An attitude of Joy Comes from those of Strong Faith.
- We are full of faith, hope and love…When we trust in the one who’s always in control!
- John 16:33: “Take heart (be happy), because I (Jesus) have overcome the world.”
Be “filled” Ephesians 5:18 “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit”. and “Walk by the Spirit”
- Col 3:16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
#3: Be Successful (“Abounding in the Work of the Lord”) Paul was quick to point out that when the Christians were steadfast and immoveable “Success” was sure to follow.
- SUCCESS…There is NO SUCCESS Without SIGNIFICANCE!!!
Always abounding in the work of the Lord. Translated “abounding” means “exceeding a fixed number or measure,” “over-and- above.” Most people in Life and in the Church…do what is Minimally Expected.
- However, Others, out of love, go far beyond that. Their lives pour out and overflow for what is Significant! BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT IS NOT IN VAIN!!
HERE WHAT I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND…IT IS NOT IN VAIN TO…
- Build God’s Kingdom here on earth!
- It is NOT in Vain to teach our children about Jesus and be an Example of what it means to Make Christ the Center of our Family!
- It is Not in Vain that We INVEST Our Time, Talent and Treasure here at LifePoint!
- And it is NOT in Vain that We Love Each Other Even when it is Not Convenient!!!
- Your Service to Christ is NOT in Vain Because it Brings JOY to His Heart!
And Finally, Your INVESTMENT OF TIME, TALENT & TREASURE is NOT IN VAIN Because God will reward you for your faithfulness, even when no one else sees. Your Labor is Not in Vain in the Lord.
We all discouraged from time to time. But God keeps bringing us back to this verse to help us to see the importance of faithful service…Don’t give up. Your labor in Christ is Not in Vain.
Christ Himself said,
- The work is great but the laborers are few.
- The warfare is heated but the hearts of many are cold.
- The witnesses are needed but many are idle.
We Need to Become 1 Corinthians 15:58 Christians… “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain”.
Giving Ourselves “fully” to the Work of the Lord…is all about The Invested Life!