JUNE 24 God’s Sustaining Grace
Phil1:6 says: “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
If you have given your life to Jesus Christ – if you’ve opened yourself up to God and said, "Christ, be number one in my life - be Lord of my life"
– You are going to make it all the way to heaven.
Question: “How well do you finish the race?”
We All Know… that some people, finish a race in very poor shape – while others like the Apostle Paul finish the race well. Paul Makes it clear we finish the race Christ marked out for us through His Sustaining Grace!
God’s Sustaining Grace is the Power to keep You Going even when You Feel Like Giving Up.
I know of at least three times when we all need to seek God’s Sustaining Grace.
- We need God’s Sustaining Grace when we’re…TEMPTED
Temptation happens to all of us. It causes us to stumble and fall. 1st
. Peter 5:8 says: “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
The Message version says it this way: “Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce and would like nothing better than to catch you napping.”
You may not realize this - but the moment you become a believer – the battle begins. Satan enjoys nothing more than to see you stumble – to see you fail or fall. When you become a believer, you are no longer Satan’s property – you are no longer on his side – But he wants to get you back. He does not want you to succeed. He is looking for every opportunity to pounce on you and keep you from winning the race.
The Bible says we are all tempted. Even Jesus was tempted. But the Bible says that Jesus was tempted in all points like we are – but he never sinned.
1 Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
Two things to note: 1.
The temptation you are experiencing is common. You are not in this alone. Other people are tempted in the same way as you are. 2.
God is faithful. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can endure and He will make a way of escape that You will be able to Bear it!
The way of escape may mean – change the channel. It may mean – run out the door. It may mean – change the way you are thinking. It may mean - stop doing it. It may mean - turn the computer off.
God will provide a way of escape – BUT WE MUST CHOOSE TO TAKE THE DOOR HE PROVIDES!
Secondly, We need God’s Sustaining Grace when We are TIRED
Psalms 28:7 “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.”
- David relied on God for his strength. He trusted in Him. He put his faith in Him. And because of this fact – his heart rejoiced.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4: “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.”
FACT: "It’s so hard to be a Christian!" IF You Don’t Rely Upon Jesus It…Is…Impossible!
- 3. We need God’s Sustaining Grace when We are…TROUBLED
Job 5:7 tells us: “Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward”.
In other words – troubles are common. You should expect troubles in your life.
I have Found that There are 3 kinds of Trouble in this World.
- There is the kind that blows you away like a tornado. [Totally Unexpected]
- There is the kind that weighs you down like a sack of potatoes. [Heavy Burdens]
- Then there is the kind of trouble that pulls the rug out from under you. [Plans Fail]
KEY…Most of us can handle problems if we have hope – if we can see an end in sight – if we can see a light at the end of the tunnel. If we can see that there is power to get through the problem – we can handle it. Hope is Powerful. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all this through him [Christ] who gives me strength.”
Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
You Can do 3 Things to Plug into God’s Sustaining Grace!
- God promises to be with us. He promises to strengthen us. He promises to help us. He promises to hold us up. He is the God who sustains us. He is the God who gives His Sustaining Grace.
- ASK for God’s Sustaining Grace Through Prayer: Pray earnestly. Pray fervently. Pray passionately. Pray with integrity. Ask God for His Sustaining Grace. He loves to hear the prayers of His children.
- Matthew 7:7-8 " Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” God gives His children the best - ask for it.
- STUDY God’s Word: God’s word guides and directs us through good times and through bad.
- Psalms 119: 105 “Your word is a lamp for my feet,a light on my path.
- RELY on God’s Promises—TRUST GOD: You know that there are over 7000 promises [ Blank Checks] in the Bible waiting to be claimed and cashed in. DO IT!
God wants us to over-come this world by relying on His strength and His promises…God gives us all kinds of Promises in His Word…But it does No Good Unless We Rely Upon Them and put our faith into Action.
A day is coming when there will be No More Trials or Tribulation. In heaven there will not be any problems, no sorrow, no sadness, no grief, no grumbling and no messed up lives. But until then God has promised us His Sustaining Grace to get us through…Victory Comes when we Rely on His Promises.
So…Where do You need God’s Sustaining Grace today? A Relationship? A Burden? Where are You discouraged and You feel like giving up? Are You being tempted? If so…What are You Willing to do About it?
Are You tired and or troubled? Don’t try to Handle it All Alone…God has Already Prepared a Person or Persons who can lift You Up and Help You Through!
POINT: The Will of God Will Not Take You Where the Grace of God Cannot Sustain You!
Gods Plan for Your Life is Usually Different than the Way We Would Plan it…However, We Must Hold on the One Important Fact…God Only Desires His Best For Your Life…