Memorial Day Service-2018 5 QUALITIES OF A GOOD SOLDIER—2 Timothy 2:4
2 Timothy 2:3-4 “Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.”
This Morning I want to Give You the 5 Qualities of A Good Soldier. It is my hope that You will be encouraged and challenged to become a soldier that brings glory of the Lord.
- 2:3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus A Good Soldier is a FOLLOWER
Implies Relationship (The first step is to join God’s Army)
- No one can be a soldier for the Lord until they first get into the army. This requires one receives Jesus Christ as their Savior, John 3:3 “Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
Implies Rule (To refuse to follow orders is treason!)
- When we are in the Lord’s Army, we have the obligation of obeying His orders even unto the death!
- Notice the call of Christ that has not changed, Matthew 6:24. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me”.
- When we refuse to live as the Lord desires, then we have crossed the line from follower to traitor – James 4:17 “If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.”
- 2:3-4; 4:7b “No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. A Good Soldier is FAITHFUL…Can be seen in…
2:3 His Patience – Endures hardship and does not quit. The good soldier realizes that there will be troubles along the way and is not detoured by them.
Verse 4: His Priorities – Seeks to please the Commander. Notice that the good soldier has no higher goal in life than pleasing His Superior.
- The good soldier knows that things which interferes with his performance must be done away with.
- The good soldier wants to please his Superior and does whatever he has to do to get that job done!
- Question: Who comes first in your life? Whatever or whoever it is, that is your god!
- Pleasing Jesus is to be the first priority of every child of God. 1 Cor. 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
7b His Practice: “the Lord will give you insight into all this.” Guard’s the truths of the faith.
- The good soldier is determined to do a good job, and he refuses to do anything to bring disgrace and dishonor upon his Superior. So it is with the Christian soldier.
- He wants to live his life in a manner that brings honor to the Lord and not dishonor.
The Good Soldier is FAMILIAR There are some things that the good soldier knows. He is familiar with:
- The Sound of The Commanders’ Voice- John 10:3-5 “His sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger”.
- The way to get more familiar with the Lord’s voice is to spend more time listening to it. You do this by getting into and Meditating on His Word.
- With The Skill of Using His Weapons- 6:10-18 The Good Soldier is Disciplined and Puts on the Armor that protects him as He goes to Battle each day.
- You and I would do well to learn the art of spiritual warfare if we intend to succeed for the glory of the Lord. Go Through the Amor
- With The Strategy Of The Enemy- 1 Peter 5:8 “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
- He knows that regardless of the trap, God will make a way of escape for him,
- 1 Cor. 10:13. “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
- With The Shadows Of His Friends 11:25 “He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin”.
- Vs 7 The Good Soldier is a FIGHTERI have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Paul makes 3 statements in this verse that describe the good soldier.
- He Is Determined- The good soldier does not retreat in the face of the enemy or run from a fight. Instead, he stands his ground and fights until the battle is over!
- He Is Driven- The good soldier realizes that the battle does not run according to his time frame. He knows that another is in charge of the duration of the battle, but the good soldier is driven to finish. The good soldier is in the battle to the finish. Good Question for each of us to ask ourselves about our commitment to Jesus Christ!
- He Is Dedicated- The good soldier dedicates himself to keeping his oath. He is determined to Faithfully live for the Lord regardless of the personal cost.
- 4:7-8 The Good Soldier is a FINISHER
- He Has Resolve-The good soldier is in it for the long haul. He does not quit at the first hint of trouble. He is a finisher.
- He Has A Reason-Why does the good soldier endure hardship, stay in the fight, follow the Leader selflessly?
- The good soldier knows the price that was paid by his Superior to make a place for him in the army.
- The good soldier knows his lord loves him and that Jesus died to make a way of salvation for him.
- Therefore, he loves the Lord and no price becomes too high for the good soldier to pay.
- He Has His Reward- The good soldier finishes his course because he knows that at the end of the war, every deed will be rewarded by the Commander in chief.
For those who stay in the battle, there will come a glad day of blessing. They will hear the Lord say, “Well done thou good and faithful servant…”, Matt. 25:21, 23.
It will be my greatest Joy to Hear those words from Jesus Face to Face!
POINT: I’ve Been Recruited and Today I Report for Duty!
How do YOU answer the Question “Am I A GOOD SOLDIER?! Are You Willing to Report for Duty Every Day and Fight the Good Fight of Faith? Will you to Commit with ME to be a Better Soldier in Gods Army!
1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.