JULY 2ND 2017: “A NATION IN NEED!”
Psalms 33:12 “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance”.
2nd Chronicles 15: 1-15: The Spirit of God came on Azariah son of Oded. 2 He went out to meet Asa and said to him, “Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. 3 For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. 4 But in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them. 5 In those days it was not safe to travel about, for all the inhabitants of the lands were in great turmoil. 6 One nation was being crushed by another and one city by another, because God was troubling them with every kind of distress. 7 But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” 8 When Asa heard these words and the prophecy of Azariah son of Oded the prophet, he took courage. He removed the detestable idols from the whole land of Judah and Benjamin and from the towns he had captured in the hills of Ephraim. He repaired the altar of the Lord that was in front of the portico of the Lord’s temple. 9 Then he assembled all Judah and Benjamin and the people from Ephraim, Manasseh and Simeon who had settled among them, for large numbers had come over to him from Israel when they saw that the Lord his God was with him. 10 They assembled at Jerusalem in the third month of the fifteenth year of Asa’s reign. 11 At that time they sacrificed to the Lord seven hundred head of cattle and seven thousand sheep and goats from the plunder they had brought back. 12 They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and soul. 13 All who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman. 14 They took an oath to the Lord with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns. 15 All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the Lord gave them rest on every side.
OUR TEXT GIVES US 3 CONDITIONS FOR GOD’S BLESSINGS
- The Lord is with you WHEN you are with Him. When you get with God, He’ll get with you. Again, we may not like this, but it is still God’s word.
- James 4: 8: Come near to God and he will come near to you.
- If you seek Him, THEN He will be found by you. Jeremiah 29:12-13 “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
- If you abandon God, He will allow you to go and choose your way.
- It’s true that the Bible teaches that God will never leave or forsake us…BUT…God allows us the choice to either follow or sadly forsake Him.
THE CONSEQUENCES WITHOUT GOD’S BLESSINGS…Let’s look at what this passage tells us.
First…The Land is filled with chaos. Scripture tells us that there was no teaching priest and no law. When no one teaches right from wrong, everyone is free to do what is right in their own eyes and minds. When this happens, there is No Standard No Foundation for Society, it leads to confusion & chaos.
Chaos is progressive & leads us to a…Land filled with conflict…Today, in America, conflict rages from the house to the school house to the White house. We can track its beginnings in this country. When we began removing God from our schools, government, and other public places, it has grown to where the Land is filled with corruption.
- God’s Word tells us that God the Holy Spirit is a Restrainer of Evil…When People turn from God…The Holy Spirit cannot work and Corruption comes to a nation.
- The consequences of the USA being without God’s covering has led to killing of the unborn at an alarming rate, a gender neutral society…throwing out what God created as special…Think about it: Even the animals understand the difference!
The cost of walking away from God is high. We are a country in need of God’s renewed Blessings…If we are to experience God’s Blessings/Approval once again, we need to learn and adopt 2 things from our text.
First…We need Godly People! The people in Judah we’re grateful for a leader who would step forward and give fresh leadership…They repented, and became godly by their changed attitudes and actions.
America, at the Point, has not done this! Israel’s sacrifice would not have taken place, worship would not have been experienced, and what follows would not be recorded had they not recognized their own corruption. This was and is the starting point, for a nation, a church, and a person.
- When we refuse to acknowledge our sinfulness, there will be no change in us. However, when we admit our corruptness, God moves in to help.
Finally, We need Godly Leaders! 2 Chronicles 15:8 “And when Asa heard these words, and the prophecy of Oded the prophet, he took courage, and put away the abominable idols out of all the land of Judah and Benjamin, and out of the cities which he had taken from mount Ephraim, and renewed the altar of the LORD, that was before the porch of the LORD.” Asa took courage.” 4 Things Followed his leadership:
- He Removed the Idols. (Anything that takes precedence over God is an Idol!)
- He Renovated the House of Worship. (Honoring God!)
- He Reunited the people. (A house Divided cannot stand!)
- He Restored Authentic Worship. (He turned people’s hearts toward God and they offered “sacrifices” to the Lord).
Today…America is a Country in Need! We Must choose to Put Christ First (Remove all Idols) We Must Choose to Honor God. We Must Stand United with God as Lord and We Must Turn our Hearts toward God in Daily Worship! This is the only thing which will heal our Land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 offers a tremendous Promise for any Nation that seeks God! “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land”.
This means WE (Every Christian) must admit and repent of our sin. The Need of this nation and every person is to, “Humble ourselves, Pray, Seek God, and Turn from our wicked ways.”
As Christians God has Given YOU a Mission! Matthew 28: “19 Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”