JANUARY 20 REVIVAL SERIES: ARE YOU WILLING TO BE A SERVANT?
Nothing is more-clear in the New Testament than during our Journey toward Holiness, Jesus expects us to take the low position of Servants. This isn’t just an extra obligation
…Being a Servant is the very heart of each disciple, if we are to know True Fellowship with Christ and any degree of Holiness in Our life.
There are several things that help prepare us to understand the low and humbling position God wants us to take…In the Old Testament two sorts of servants are mentioned. Hired Servants,
who have wages paid to them and have certain rights. Bondservants:
Slaves with No rights, No wages and No appeal.
The Mosaic Law allowed an indentured servant to become a bondservant voluntarily: “If the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life”
In the New Testament, the word in the Greek for the servant of the Lord Jesus Christ is Not "hired servant" but "Bondservant,"
which shows that Our Position, in Christ, is that we have No rights.
Our Servanthood to the Lord Jesus is to express itself in our Servanthood to Our Fellowman.
Jesus takes Our Unwillingness to Serve Others…As an Unwillingness to Serve Him…And at this Point…We then Put Ourselves Out of Fellowship with Him.
- Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4: 5 "We preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus, the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus' sake."
- The low position we take toward the Lord Jesus is judged by Him…By the low position we take in our relationship with our fellowman.
God Speaks to us through Luke 17:7-10. “Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’? 8 Won’t he rather say, ‘Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’? 9 Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.”
We are Given the 5 Marks of the Bondservant:
First, we must be willing to shoulder one thing on top of another, without any thought of consideration.
Secondly, in doing this We must be Willing Not to be Thanked for it.
- How unwilling we Often are! How quickly do murmurings and bitterness grab our hearts when that sort of thing is expected of Us.
- The Moment We Start Murmuring, we’re acting as if we had rights. And a Bondservant has None!
Thirdly, having done all this, We Must Not Charge the Other with Selfishness.
- How often we serve others, but complain that they do not thank us for it.
- Hired servants may expect something…But Not Bondservants.
- As I read the passage, I could not but feel that the master was rather selfish and inconsiderate. But there is no such charge from the bondservant.
We exist to serve the interests of others and the selfishness or otherwise of those we serve does not make a difference with what God expects of us.
- Like Christ we are to allow ourselves to be "Put Upon" by others, willing to not be thanked for what we do, without a bad attitude. Bondservants are responsible to identify with His Lord and Serve.
Having served, there is no ground for pride or self-congratulation.
- We must confess that in us, that is in our flesh, there dwelleth no good thing, and be Grateful that God’s Spirit accomplishes His will through our humbled hearts.
step for a Bondservant – is to admit that, doing and bearing what we have, We have NOT Done One Stitch More than it was Our Duty to do.
In the Beginning, God Created man, Simply that He might be God's Bondservant.
This, then, is the Way of the Cross. It is the way that God's lowly Bondservant Christ first walked for us…and as a Bondservant of Christ this is the Path we are to walk!
- Man's fall into Sin Caused our hearts to Refuse to be God's Bondservant.
- His restoration can only be, then, a Restoration to the Position of a Bondservant!
- A man, then, has not done anything worth merit when he has consented to take that position, for he was created and redeemed for that very thing.
It is the only way up the Highway of Holiness. It was the way that the Lord Jesus reached the Throne, and it is the Only way, we too, will Experience Spiritual Power and fruitfulness in Our Christian Lives.
Those who walk this path, overflow with the life of their Lord…They’ve found that like Christ, "he that humbles himself shall be exalted" by God.
If darkness and unrest enter Our souls it is only because somewhere on some point we have been unwilling to walk in the paths of meekness and brokenness.
That brings us to the all-important matter of Repentance…We shall not enter into more abundant life merely by resolving that we shall be humbler.
- Each of us have attitudes/actions which may still have a hold on us, of which, we must first Repent.
Jesus did not take upon Him the form of a bondservant merely to give us an example, but that He might die for these very sins upon the cross, and open a fountain in His precious Blood where our sin can be washed away…
But that Blood cannot be applied to the sins of our proud hearts until we’ are broken in repentance to everything we’re holding back from Christ!
- This will mean allowing the light of God to permeate every part of our hearts and be at the center of every one of our relationships.
As we choose Brokenness and walk the Highway of Holiness, We will Have God’s Mighty Power Flowing through us with Fresh Revival Daily and He Will Use Us to Change our World for Jesus Christ!
The message and challenge of Revival is that there’s only one thing in the world that can hinder the Christian's walking in victorious fellowship with God and being filled with the Holy Spirit - and that is Sin
If You are willing to let go of a hard-unyielding self…You Know… that heart that stands up for itself and resists others? If You are Willing to be Broken…God the Holy Spirit will Fill You and You will Know TRUE REVIVAL Every Day!
Then, In YOU…In Us, The World Will See a Spiritual Fire that Will Draw them to Christ
POINT: The World has Lost its Faith, Because the Church has Lost its Fire!
May 2019 Be A Year that Our Revived Lives…Draw Many to Christ as we Minister together at LifePoint Church