JANUARY 13 REVIVAL SERIES: “HIGHWAY TO HOLINESS”
Isaiah 35: 8-9: “And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it. 9 No lion will be there, nor any ravenous beast; they will not be found there,
Our text offers us a picture. That of a Highway built up from the surrounding quagmire in the world, that seeks to confuse and impede spiritual growth”.
- Though the Highway is narrow and uphill, it is not beyond any of us to walk it, except for “the person who is not willing to humbly come to the cross.”
- There are many dangers if we get off the road…But as we keep to the Highway there is safety, for “no lion or ravenous beast shall be there.”
- Only one kind of person is barred from walking there and that is the unclean one. “The unclean shall not pass over it.”
- This includes both the sinner who does not know Christ as His Savior, and the Christian who does know Christ, and yet is walking in un-confessed
In Our Picture…At the foot of the Cross is a low door, so low that to get through it one has to stoop and crawl through. It is the only entrance to the Highway to Holiness.
- We must go through it if we would go any further on our This door is called the Door of the Broken Ones. Only the broken can enter the Highway. To be broken means to be “not I, but Christ.” There is in every one of us a proud, stiff-necked “I.”
The stiff neck began in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve, stiffened their necks, struck out for independence and tried to be “as gods.” All the way through the Bible, God charges His people with the same stiff neck; and I am very aware that it manifests itself in Us, as Well.
- We’re hard and unyielding. We’re sensitive and easily hurt. We get irritable, envious and critical. We’re resentful and unforgiving. We’re self-indulgent – and how often that can lead to impurity!
- Before we can enter the Highway, God must bend and break our stiff-necked self, so that Christ reigns in its stead.
In order to break our wills to His, God brings us to the foot of the Cross and there Shows Us What Real Brokenness is.
- We see His wounded Hands and Feet, His Face of Love crowned with thorns and we see the complete brokenness of the One who said, “Not my will, but Thine be done,” as He drank the bitter cup of our sin to its dregs.
So, the way to be broken is to look on Him and to realize it was our sin which nailed Him there. Then as we see the love and brokenness of the God who died in our place, our hearts will change and we will want to be broken for Him
And we shall Pray: Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord, Oh, to be lost in Thee, Oh, that it might be no more I, But Christ that lives in me. I have found that there is No Prayer that God is so Swift to Answer as the Prayer that He Might Break Me.
However, We Must Not Assume that we have to be broken Only Once as we go through the door. Every Day it will be a Constant Choice For Us to Make!
- Think About it: If someone hurts and slights us, we immediately have the choice of accepting the slight as a means of grace to humble us lower or we can resist it and stiffen our necks again and lose the filling of the Holy Spirit!
- Throughout each day our brokenness will be tested, and it is no use our pretending we are broken before God if we are not broken in our attitude to those around us…God nearly always tests us through other people.
Now Picture This: Over the Door we must pass, is sprinkled the precious Blood of Jesus. And as One bends to crawl through, the Blood cleanses from all his Sin.
On to the Highway of the Christian Life, We no longer see Jesus arms stretched across it…But walking the Highway with us, and overflowing with resurrection life.
- Daily He comes up to us and asks us to hold out our hearts, and as we present to Him our empty hearts…He Fills Them with Overflowing Grace!
THIS IS REVIVAL! Full of the Holy Spirit all the time, loving others and concerned for their salvation.
- No struggling. Just simply giving Him each sin to cleanse in His precious Blood and accepting from Him the free gift of His Fullness, and then allowing Him to do HIS work through us.
But we sometimes do, slip off the Highway…For it is Narrow.
- One little mis-step and we are off the path and in darkness…aren’t we?
- And It is always because of a failure in obedience somewhere or a failure to be weak enough to let God do all.
- Satan is always beside the road, shouting at us, but he cannot touch us.
- But we can yield to his voice by an act of our will. This is the beginning of sin and slipping away from Jesus.
- Sometimes we stiffen our necks to someone, sometimes to God Himself.
- Sometimes jealousy or resentment holds us bondage. Immediately we are over the side, for nothing unclean can walk the Highway.
- Our cup is dirtied and ceases to overflow and we lose our peace with God.
If we don’t come back to the Highway at once, we’ll go further down the side
- To get back the first thing to do is to ask God to show what caused us to slip off; and He will, though it often takes Him time to make us see.
- Perhaps someone annoyed us, and we was irritated.
KEY: God wants us to see that it’s not the thing that the person did that matters, but our reaction to it. If we had been broken, we would not have been irritated.
- As we look back to the Highway, we see Jesus again and we see how ugly it is to be irritable and that Jesus died to save us from being irritable.
- As we come again to Him and His Blood for cleansing. Jesus is waiting there to fill our cup to overflowing once again. Hallelujah!
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REMEMBER: No matter where you leave the Highway, You will always find Him calling You to Come Back and be Broken Again, and HIS BLOOD will ALWAYS be there to Cleanse and Make You Clean.
This is the great secret of the Highway – To take our sin to the Cross, see there its sinfulness, and then put it under the Blood and reckon it gone.
And, the real test all along the Highway will be – Is Your Cup Running Over?
- Do You Have the peace of God in Your heart?
- Do You Have love and concern for others?
- These things are the barometer of the Highway.
If these are Missing then Sin has Crept in Somewhere – self-pity, self-seeking, self-indulgence in thought or deed, sensitiveness, touchiness, self-defense, self-consciousness, shyness, reserve, worry, fear and so on.
This is the Highway to Revival and Holiness!
- It is no new astounding doctrine. It is not something new for us to preach.
- It is a life to live day by day in whatever circumstances the Lord has put YOU.
- It just puts into simple pictorial language the Truth of Sanctification.
To start to live this life now will mean Revival in Your life…To continue to live it will be Supernatural Powered Revival Every Day of Your Life!