DEC 10: Christmas Sermon: The Miracle of the Message - Hebrews 1
Our Christmas sermon series is Experience the Miracle of Christmas.
It is not enough to just know about the miracle of Christmas. We need to experience the miracle of Christmas in our own hearts and lives.
records this miracle of the message from God: "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."
God has been speaking throughout history to reveal Himself to us. He wants us to know Him, to love Him, to worship Him.
- God sent Jesus to communicate His message in a way that we can understand!
- The miracle of the message is that God speaks to us today so that we can know Him and draw near to Him!
Prior to the coming of Christ there had been 400 years of silence. Since the prophet Malachi last uttered his messages from God, there had been no prophets until John the Baptist arrived.
- God reveals Himself through His creation, through the sunrise and sunset, through the sun, moon and stars.
- God spoke to Moses in the burning bush, He spoke to the Israelites from the smoke and fire on the mountain. He spoke to Elijah in a still, small voice, to Isaiah in a vision in the temple. God spoke to Hosea through his family circumstances and to Amos in a basket of summer fruit.
- He spoke to Jeremiah through a potter's clay and to Joseph through dreams. In Numbers God even spoke His message through Balaam’s donkey!
But now, at last, God sent His Son to bring His message to us!
- God's revelations in the Old Testament were fragmentary, occasional, and progressive, because no single one of them contained the whole truth. God had been speaking, but people weren't getting the message. They didn't understand God's heart. They didn't understand God's plan.
Jesus came to reveal God, to make Him known to us in ways that we can understand
- It is true that God revealed Himself through the words spoken by Jesus, through His message, but He did more than that...Jesus Christ is the living, divine Son of God. He did more than just proclaim God's message – Jesus is God's Message.
The miracle of the message is not just in the fact that God speaks to us today through His Son, but that the message has the power to transform our lives
- The writer of Hebrews goes on to say of Jesus in verse 3, "The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."
- John's Gospel describes Jesus as the Word becoming flesh and living among us.
- If you want to know what God is like, look to Jesus!
- When Philip asked Jesus to show them the Father, "He answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" (John 14:9)
- Jesus declares in John 10:30, "I and the Father are One."
He did that, because He wanted us to know how very much He loves us.
- Christmas is the celebration of the greatest message ever proclaimed. God is with us…EMMANUELLE!.
- God came near so that we could draw near to Him. 1 Timothy 2:6 says Jesus gave His life as a ransom for all.
- Jesus came so that God could reveal Himself and His plan to us in a way that we could understand. Jesus came to proclaim God's message that we can be set free from sin's hold on our lives.
Some of you this past year have received messages that have certainly changed your life. You heard the message
- He wanted us to know that He created us so that we might know and love Him.
- He came to proclaim the message that we have been set free. We don't have to live as prisoners to guilt and regret.
from the doctor when he said, "It's cancer." You heard the message
from your teenager, "I'm pregnant
." You heard the message
from your spouse, "I don't love you anymore, I want a divorce
." And that message has changed your life.
But in the midst of it all, there is another message that God says in His Word. "Nothing whatsoever can ever separate you from my love."
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
He speaks in Proverbs, "Trust in Me with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge me, and I will direct your paths."
In the midst of life's betrayals and bitter messages He whispers, "Forgive those who mistreat you."
Trust God when He says, Romans 8:28
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
In the midst of life's messages of joy and celebration He shouts, "Rejoice, and be Exceedingly Glad!"
Point: The Miracle of Christmas is the Miracle of the Message, God Loves You and Me!
Believe the message God is speaking to you and your life will never be the same!