JUNE 2 ’19: Banking with God (2 Timothy 1:12-14)
Last week’s Point, “If Your Investments Are Limited to This Earth, Then You Are the World’s Worst Investor! Mark 8:36, “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?”
When it comes to investing money, most of us are pretty careful…Entrusting it to a company that is solid and can promise us a profit. But, it’s amazing how haphazard many invest their lives.
2 Tim 1:12-14, “That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day. 13 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. 14 Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us”.
In our text, Paul gives us a Guaranteed Plan for Successful Banking with God. He shows us the 2 Sides to Successful Banking with God: To invest your life successfully, “Deposit” it with Christ and “Guard” His deposit with you. SIMPLY…Entrust everything that you are and have to God for safekeeping. And…God entrusts something with you for safekeeping.
First, To Deposit it With Christ (1:12). You personally commit your life to Jesus Christ.
- You can study about investments all you like, but the bottom line is when you actually deposit some of your hard-earned cash with the investment firm.
- Until that transaction takes place, all of your knowledge and interest in the subject count for nothing. If the investment shoots up in value, it won’t benefit you at all unless you’re actually invested in it.
- Paul writes (1:12), “For this reason [the gospel that had laid hold of him, vv. 9-11] I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him [lit., “my deposit”] until that day.”
- The Greek word for “deposit” was used of leaving your valuables in the care of a trusted friend to guard while you were away.
- Until you deposit your life with Christ, all of your knowledge about God and interest in spiritual things amount to nothing.
Then Paul says, You Must Guard That Deposit. You do that 3 Ways:
- YOU GUARD THE DEPOSIT BY HOLDING TO SOUND DOCTRINE.
- 2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
- YOU GUARD THE DEPOSIT BY LIVING A GODLY LIFE.
- Gal 5:16– [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
- 2 Cor 5:17– Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- Romans 12:1– I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.
- GUARD THE DEPOSIT THROUGH THE INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT.
- 2 Timothy 1:14 Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you. The Holy Spirit Enables Us to be Godly!
Paul says, When We Deposit-Invest Our Lives In Jesus Christ [Salvation] And Guard That Deposit with a Surrendered Life to Him…That the Investment of Our Lives Will Enjoy a Tremendous Return Eternally!
A Life Invested in Christ…Changes Your Focus and Goals and How You Will Invest Every Part of Your Life…Your Time…Your Talents and Your Treasure!
#1: A Life Invested in Christ Changes How We Invest Our TIME: Ps 39:4-5 says, “Lord, make me to know my end and [to appreciate] the measure of my days—what it is; let me know and realize how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]. Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Truly every man at his best is merely a breath!”
- The Question we need to ask, Am I Investing it or Wasting it?
#2 A Life Invested in Christ Changes How We Invest Our TALENTS:
- James 1:17 says, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above…” God, in His mercy and goodness, has endowed every person with certain gifts, talents, and capabilities.
- Our personalities, intelligence, and capabilities are gifts from God’s Own hand.
- If we divert their use for our own profit, we become guilty of selfishness.
- As stewards of our talents, we should invest them for the glory, praise, and honor of God.
- You See… “If God is Glorified…We Will be Blessed”. Our Voices, Our Service, and Our Abilities are to be Invested, for the Glory of God.
#3 A Life Invested in Christ Changes How We Invest Our TREASURE:
- Matthew 13:44 captures the heart and soul of following Christ: “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joywent and sold all he had and bought that field.”
As a guy crosses a field, he thrust his staff into the ground and hears a thud. He gets down, digs with his hands and finds treasure…He is bent on obtaining that treasure…Willing to Pay any Price.
Jesus is simply using the treasure in the field as an illustration of heavenly treasure.
- Just as this guy in our text was willing to PAY ANY PRICE to get the Treasure… God wants Us to Have that Same Excitement about Investing in the Greatest Treasure of all time…Eternity!
It is When We Understand and Embrace this Truth that Only Eternity is Worth Investing Our Time, Talents and Treasure, that We Will Be Disciples Who’s Dream it is to Invest Everything We Have into Building God’s Kingdom!
- Lives so filled with a Vision for Eternity that they only dream of investing their money, their time and their lives where it will matter most.
- Once You and I see the treasures of Eternity and become Consumed by them, Nobody will be able to keep Us from Eternities Best Investment.
I Pray we will All Catch a Vision that as Good Investors…One Day Very Soon I Believe We Will Hear the Applause of Heaven…And the Pleasure in the God’s Voice, as He says “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” Nothing Else Compares.
UNTIL THAT DAY…I Urge YOU who have deposited your life with Jesus Christ
- Guard it by holding to sound doctrine and by godly living.
- Do Not become Apathetic about growing in sound doctrine or become Careless about how you live as a believer…
- Walk carefully! Invest your life wisely…Invest wisely how you spend each day.
POINT: “If Your Investments Are Limited to This Earth, Then You Are the World’s Worst Investor!”