PART 9 AUGUST 30 ROMANS 9-11 THE RESPONSIBILITY OF BEING ENGRAFTED
After Completing the first 8 chapters of the Book of Romans…Paul showed how human beings lack God’s righteousness because of our sin. In Chapters 4-5 he speaks about Receiving God’s righteousness when God justifies us by faith. And in Chapters 6-8 Paul Demonstrates God’s righteousness by each person who received Christ by Faith will be transformed from rebels to totally devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
Now in Chapters 9 through 11 Paul Shares his Anguish Over Israel rejecting Jesus Christ. And makes it clear that we, the Gentiles, have been “engrafted” into this wonderful Grace for Salvation and with it We have a Responsibility.
ME: Each year, I have greater understanding of the importance of taking the responsibility for Gods Great Commission.
- The Fact that Eternity for any of us could come at any moment is a sobering thought.
- It is this sober understanding that we see in the Apostle Paul throughout Scripture.
YOU: A Question for You and Me today is Do I…Do We Anguish Over the Lost? Do We Make Christ’s Mission Our Mission?
In Chapter 9:1-5 We see Paul’s Anguish Over Israel
9 I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, 4 the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.
God Wants the Intensity of Paul’s Heart for the lost in these verses to Challenge Us.
As we read through Chapters 9-10-11 we see a Great Divide…Those who tried to be righteous through the Law (Works) versus those who understood Righteousness was Not about Heritage or Works…But…Receiving Salvation by Faith in Jesus Christ Alone.
10:1-4 Brother’s and sister’s, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2 For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4 Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Paul states again the Law Could Not Save Us…It Could Only Show Us Our Sinfulness. Paul makes it clear that Christ Fulfilled Gods Promise:
- Christ is the Culmination of the Law…Which was God’s Promise from Genesis 3.
- It is this Faith in Christ alone that Saves Every Person. Works Do Not Save Us…
- Righteous Works are an Outcome of God’s Righteousness Within Us!
In VS 9-15 Paul tells both the Jewish and Gentile Peoples What God Blesses!
Starting in Vs 9 Paul says If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Then starting in VS 14 Paul Ask a litany of Questions that Define His Plan for Us and the Blessing that Comes from Carrying Out His Commission:
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
This last Statement…Paul quotes from Isaiah 52:7, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bring good news, that publish peace.”
Isaiah Taught that the Good News of God’s Truth brings Hope, Peace, and Spiritual Prosperity to the Beleaguered Places in the World.
So let’s take a closer look at What the apostle Paul really means when he penned, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news?” Consider the Following
First…The Gospel is Beautiful because of its Author, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The Lord Jesus is beautiful in His Character, in His Love and in the Truth that He personified in every aspect of His life.
- As the words of the old song says about Jesus, “He is the lily of the valley, He is the bright and morning star. He is the fairest of ten thousands, everybody ought to know.”
KEY: Christ authored the gospel so that the world could come out of the ugliness of their sin, depravation, and bondage into a relationship with a God who is beautiful beyond description.
A Life of Forgiveness, Purpose and Privilege is Truly Beautiful in All Aspects.
- When one gains an intimate appreciation of the beauty of the Lord Jesus one is compelled to want to share His beautiful Holiness, Truth and Joy to others who struggle through the mire of sin’s ugliness.
- It is truly beautiful to be around people who characterize the fruits of the gospel of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
- Only the Gospel Delivers People from the Ugliness of Hate, Envy, Jealousy, Wrath, Evil Speaking, Slander, Divisions and Immorality.
Secondly, The Gospel Givers are Beautiful Because they Take on the Identity of Jesus Christ. We all tend to become more and more like the people we associate ourselves with.
- When we involve ourselves in the giving of the gospel we gain a closer identification with Jesus Christ.
- Those who identify with Christ are known by the beautiful service that they render to those who are suffering in the ugliness of sin’s self-destruction.
Next, The Feet of the Gospel Givers are Considered Beautiful Because They Bring a Message of Peace, Hope and Eternal life.
- Everything in this world is ultimately vain so those who bring the gospel offer deliverance from emptiness and meaninglessness.
- There is great delight when a sinner turns away from sin’s turmoil and pain.
- God delights in those who share the message of eternal life with a world dying in sin.
Paul knows that the Feet of the Gospel Preachers are Beautiful because of the nature of the gospel. The Good News of Jesus Christ Sets People Free from Sin, Destruction and Eternal Judgment.
- When the truth of the gospel takes root in a person’s life they are given Spirit led freedom to overcome all vices of life.
- This is what Jesus meant in John 8:31,32when he said, “If you continue in my word, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”
- How beautiful it is to be a Free person No longer Shackled by own selfish desires.
Next, The Gospel is beautiful because it teaches people about a God who is Lovely, Honorable and Excellent in Every Way. No greater beauty exists than in the person of our Creator God who made all things beautiful in their time.
- Do not try to make something beautiful without God’s help. Many people are self-deceived by the world’s promises of earthly beauty.
- Solomon wrote, “Charm is deceitful and outward physical beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”
ME: During these Recent Years…I Have Been So Saddened by The Dark, Evil that is Running Rampant through America!
- WE SEE…There is NO Beauty Where Christ Has Been Eliminated!
- It is True that Man, Apart from God, is Innately Evil…As Satan Rules a Heart he is Bent on Destruction!
- Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all thingsand beyond cure.Who can understand it?
Titus 15-16: To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are Detestable, Disobedient and Unfit for Doing Anything Good.
The Gospel gives All People a Key to the Door of Eternal Beauty through a Personal Relationship with God who Transforms them more and more into His Likeness Through the Sanctifying Power of God the Holy Spirit.
Paul wrote in 2 Cor. 3:18, “Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord, is there is freedom.” And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”
The Gospel helps us Gain Entrance into a Beautiful Relationship with God who gives Us Freedom and ever-increasing Maturity, Intimacy and Transformation into His likeness.
Also…The Gospel is Beautiful in the Way that it Influences Individuals and Societies.
- It lifts people to a higher level of dignity, respectability, and responsibility.
- Gospel givers buoys the spirits of the faint-hearted.
- The Gospel gives people a Sense of Eternal Purpose that helps them Transcend the Barriers of Culture, Language and Class Distinctions.
KEY: It Is Only Those Who Know Jesus Christ as Savior Who Can Influence Lives to Turn from Evil to Christ…and Cause an Impact on Our World for Goodness, Kindness and Love.
It is a beautiful thing to be involved in bringing the Gospel to millions of Soul-Starved People. God Calls Every Christian to Proclaim the Truth of the Gospel.
YOU SEE…We Operate Under Orders from the Absolute Highest Authority.
- The proclaimer gets his marching orders from the ultimate source possible.
- This is true of all believers, whether they are in full-time ministry or not. There is no such thing as home or foreign missions; the idea is simply missions.
- Everyone Has the Mission to Proclaim the Gospel. It is true that God calls some to go to Foreign fields, but even that is simply missions.
There is Beauty to the Undertaking of the Getting the Gospel Out.
- The wonder of seeing souls saved from hell to live eternally in heaven is something to behold. There is both beauty and necessity in mission work.
- KEY: You Know…I do Not Believe that Anyone Will Totally Understand the Joy of Leading Others to Christ Until We See Them in Heaven…
- What a Day that Will Be When We See What God Has Done Through Our Faithfulness!
No one can Believe the Gospel Unless they Hear it…Unless Someone Carries the Message to him.
- There can be no doubt for the need of people proclaiming the Lord Jesus in words.
- No one can call on the Lord unless there is something to believe about Him.
- The Message is not about God Blessing Us with Stuff…Rather it is the Revelation from God—Belief in Christ’s Death, Ascension, and Resurrection to give us Eternal Life.
With God’s Divine Authorization [Great Commission], Proclamation Comes with the Power of God. God’s Commission is the start of the chain of actions that lead to evangelism.
- The person who rejects the message of the proclaimer rejects Jesus Himself.
LUKE 10:16 Whoever Listens to You Listens to ME; Whoever Rejects You Rejects ME; But Whoever Rejects ME Rejects Him who Sent ME.”
Our Responsibility of Being Engrafted to Gods Grace is About the Great Commission… God’s Commission is to be Our Mission!
POINT: ONLY ONE LIFE WILL SOON BE PAST, ONLY WHATS DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST
The Chorus of the Song I’m going to share simply says,
To Love the Lord Our God…Is the Heartbeat of Our Mission
The Spring from which Our Service Overflows
Across the Street…Or Around the World…The Mission’s Still the Same
Proclaim and Live the Truth…In Jesus’ Name