AUGUST 1: MISSION SUNDAY A/V [MISSION’S PURPOSE—PROBLEMS—PROMISE]
When I say that word MISSIONS…What is the first thought that comes to mind…
For most of us it is probably the idea of going to some foreign land to preach the Gospel.
- Yet there are many different missions that we can be a part of.
- In the Military the word Mission invokes the thought of some special task they are on.
- There are Also Domestic Missions…Like trying to fix up a house to sell it.
I looked up the word Mission on the Webster Dictionary it said that Mission…IS…The Vocation or Calling of a Religious Organization, Especially a Christian one, to Go Out Into the World and Spread its Faith. “the Christian Mission”
We, are On a Mission. Just before Ascending into Heaven Jesus told His Disciple’s to Go and Preach. That Message, and Charge, has Been Left For Us Until Christ Returns!
- However…Matthew 28 was not the first time Jesus sent His Disciple’s out into the Mission Field.
In Matthew 10…Jesus sent His Disciples out on a Mission. This Passage of Scripture gives Us some valuable Insight to Accomplishing the Mission Jesus has Left for Us.
- In Matthew 10…We are Given the Mission’s Purpose…The Mission’s Problems and the Mission’s Promise!
Verses 5-8 Give Us the “Mission’s Purpose”. “These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.”
- They were Sent to Preach the Coming of the Kingdom of Heaven.”
The disciples could have spent their time Preaching out Against: The Roman Empire, The Jewish Leaders Hypocrisy, The Need for Honest Tax Collectors, the list goes on.
The Same’s True of Us. There are so many Things We Could Preach Out Against in Our World…The Hypocrisy Of Our Political Leaders; The Wrongs of Abortion and Homosexual Marriage…And All of the Social Issues that do Not Meet God’s Standard…
BUT… We are Told to Preach the Message of the Gospel [The Good News of Hope]
They Preached that the Kingdom of Heaven was NEAR. HOWEVER…For Us, the Kingdom IS HERE and It Is Our Responsibiity and Priviledge to Preach this Fact.
Like Paul, We Are To Take the Gospel Message Seriously…He Preached Jesus Christ Crucified…Jesus Christ Buried…Jesus Christ Risen From The Dead!
Paul said in Romans 1:16: I am Not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the Salvation of Everyone who Believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
SO…What Do You Think Would happen if God’s People Everywhere Took Seriously the Commission Jesus Gave Us?
- YES…There Are Times When We Should Speak Out Against Issues that Contradicts God’s Law…
- However, Our Main Message Should Always be the Gospel Message…Because Only the Gospel Message Has the Power to Save.
THIS IS WHY PROCLAIMING THE GOSPEL IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT PURPOSE:
- Every Person who has Given their Life to Jesus Christ Has A Responsibility to Preach the Truth of God’s Word.
God’s Mission “Team” is the Church! Take a Ball Team…If some Players on the Team Didn’t Show Up the Team Would NOT WIN GAMES…
- To Accomplish God’s Mission for the Church…Every One of Us Must Take Part…Or Our Efforts Will Not Accomplish ALL that God Desires for LifePoint Church!
- The Bible makes No Distinction Between Pastors, Missionaries and Lay People in the Church body.
KEY: Every One of Us has the Same Responsibility to Share the Gospel and Use Our Different Spiritual Gifts and Abilities to Reach the Lost!
Our Text also says They were Sent to Heal. As they went about Preaching the Gospel Message they were to Heal those who Needed to be Healed.
Understand…These Men were Empowered by Jesus to Heal.
- The Apostles and the people in which the Apostles laid their hands on had a power from the Holy Spirit to do some amazing things. The purpose for them using these powers were to prove that the message they were preaching was true.
Today People have been given Special Gifts by God. Doctors, Nurses and Scientists who have made it their life-long work to heal people. They are NOT able to heal in the same sense that the Apostles were able to, But they are Gifted by God None-the-Less.
KEY: We’re to Be a People of Healing too! We May Not be able to Heal in the Same Sense that the Apostles were, But we can Bring Healing to People that are Hurting.
- Hurting From the Effects of Sin…Hurting From Loneliness…Hurting From Hopelessness, etc.
Consider This>>>Every Person the Disciples Physically Healed, Eventually Died!!
- However, When We show People that the Ultimate Source of Healing is Found in Christ and the Hope of Eternity…We’re Doing More than Healing them for a while…We are Showing them that Christ Can Heal them Forever.
Vs 8 Is Our Challenge: Freely You have Received, Freely Give…POINT: Our Salvation should be Enough of a Motivation for Us to Go Out and Share the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
With the Missions Purpose Comes Mission’s Problems: The Disciples were Given the Mission, But they were Told They Would Face Problems and Encounter Adversity!
Matthew 10:14-16: If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore, be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
Some People Would Not Listen…The disciples were told that there was going to be people who would not listen to the message that they had to preach.
- This is Still True Today. There Will Always Be People who Won’t Want to Hear the Gospel Message We have to Preach…
That Doesn’t Mean that We are Supposed to Give Up Preaching. All that Means is that We Have to Preach Somewhere Else. It’s All About Whosoever Will.
Listen again to what Verse 14 says. If anyone will Not Welcome You or Listen to Your Words, Shake the Dust Off Your Feet when You Leave that Town or Home.
It can be Frustrating to do your best to Reach someone for Jesus Christ, and for them to Show No Interest. However…There is Something that We All Need to Remember…
…If people Rejected: God in the Old Testament – Jesus in the New Testament – And The Apostles who were men full of the Holy Spirit and power – Then People Will Reject Us.
When this Happens…We Take them to God’s War Room…PRAY, PRAY, PRAY that God Will Open and Change Their Hearts.
In Addition…There are People Who Will Be Combative.
- In Matthew We See that the Disciples were in Danger because of the Message They were Going Out to Preach they would Face Adversity.
Matt 10:17-20, “Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.”
- Here, Jesus told them that They Were Going to Encounter Danger. And He Promised them that They Were Going to be Helped by God the Holy Spirit.
Persecution Happens in Many Parts of the World…And it May Come to America!
- Today we Don’t Face the Persecution that the Disciples had to Face, But We Do Face People who are Combative to the Message of Jesus Christ.
- ***We Encounter Opposition…Because Satan knows that there is Power in the Gospel Message…And When We Preach Christ…Lives Are Changed.
This Leads Us to Our Final Point…The Mission’s Promise!
- Jesus Gave them a Mission, told them that they were going to Face Problems, and then He went on to Give Them this Promise.
Vs 32-33: “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.”
- When we (The Church) obey Gods Commands we are Blessed and Experience the Joy of the Manifestation of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit.
If you were to list the greatest days of your life, you’d probably have a few to choose from. They might include—
- The day you Graduated…The day you got Married…The day a Child was Born…The day your Child Graduated or Got Married… the Day You Retired…OR…THE DAY YOU RECEIVED CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL SAVIOR!
But Here, Jesus Speaks About a Day So Momentous that it Will Outshine Any Other Day of Your Life.
- One Day You Will Stand in the Presence of God. On that day You Will See the Son of God, and You Will Hear His Voice. He Will Speak to You.
- JESUS will say 1 of 2 things. Either He will Confess You…Or He Will Disown You.
- To Confess You means He will Say to the Father “This is Doug [Put Your Name Here], and He Belongs to Me.”
- To disown You means the Son will say to the Father “This is ______[Put your name here], and he has nothing to do with me.”
Jesus Makes it Clear that What He Says About You When You See Him Face to Face is Intimately Tied to What You Say About Him Now:
Our Missions Purpose…Our Missions Problems and Our Missions Promise are Wrapped Up into the Exhortation and Encouragement of 1 Corinthians 15:58
1 Cor. 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
- Stand Firm in Carrying Out the Great Commission!
- Give Yourselves to Proclaiming the Gospel of Christ at All Times!
- Knowing that When Your Mission on Earth is Finished…God Will Say Welcome Home My Good and Faithful Servant…Enter Now into the Joy of the Lord!
TODAY’S “LIFE” POINT: ONLY ONE LIFE WILL SOON BE PAST…ONLY WHAT IS DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST!