Romans Part 2 (7/5/20) How Does the Gospel Save Believers? Romans 1:16–17
Romans 1: 16-17 “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
2 Concerns in the Christian Life: How to Display God in Our Lives & How to be Happy in God Forever.
- Each Christian’s Focus Should Be…How Should I Think, Feel and Act…So That I Show the Glory of God? What Must I Think, Feel and Do So As To Be Fully Happy in God for All Eternity?
Vs 16: God’s Power to save us deals with concern number 2: Our Longing to be Happy in God Forever.
- The Power of God for Eternal Salvation — Really Means, Our Salvation, though Faith in Christ, Empowers Us to be Happy in Him Forever…The Gospel is the Power of God to Bring Believers into this Eternal Experience of “Righteousness, Peace and Joy.”
Vs 17 The Revelation of the Righteousness of God in the Gospel deals with our 1st Concern: How to Display God in Our Lives.
When God Reveals…I Mean Really Reveals Himself to You…You Will Change! Your heart, mind and priorities will change. This Will Cause You to Live by FAITH in God’s Word and God’s Plan for Your Life!
What Stands Out Here is that the Gospel has Power to Save Us Because it Reveals Something of God. And that’s what the First Great Concern in the Universe is: The Revealing or Showing of God.
- Rom 10:17 “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word about Christ.” Faith Comes Through Hearing Gods Word.
Verse 16 deals with the great concern of Our Eternal Joy (“Salvation”). And Verse 17 deals with the issue of the Manifestation of God (In particular His Righteousness in Us.)
- These Verses are saying, “I am Already Forgiven…I Already have the Gift of God’s Righteousness.”
KEY: What seems Great and All-Important Now may, in reality…be very Small. For God to be Shown and Known in Your Life…And For You to Have Eternal Joy… These are Truly Great and Ultimate Concerns.
Understand that Both the Believing in Verse 16 and the Revealing in Verse 17 are Present Tense “Continuous Action” Verbs in the Greek. “The Gospel is the Power of God for Salvation to Everyone who Continues to Believe, because in that Gospel the Righteousness of God Continues to be Revealed.”
From Our Side, the Key to Being Saved from the Wrath to Come is to Go on Believing and Trusting God.
- Believing is Not just a point in history when you mouthed the Words for God to Save You…God Seeks an Intimate Relationship with you in His Word, that you will Trust and Follow Him daily.
From God’s Side, to Our Being Saved is that He goes on Revealing to Us the Righteousness of God in the Gospel, Daily, Monthly, Year after Year. And it is this Constant Revealing to Us of God’s Righteousness… That Draws Us to Himself and leads Us through the Process of Sanctification…Becoming Like HIM!
- Romans 13:11 says, “Salvation is nearer to us now than when we [first] believed.”
Justification Starting Point for Glorification…The meaning of verses 16 and 17 is this: Our Final Salvation (Vs 16) is Based on God’s Giving the Righteousness to Us that He Demands from Us (Vs 17).
- The way Paul says it in Romans 8:30 is: “Those whom He Justified, He also Glorified.”
- Justification (God’s Righteousness Completely “Imputed” to Us) is the Foundation of Glorification (God’s Righteousness Completely “Imparted” to Us).
The Foundation for all our future hope of life, joy and salvation is based on God’s giving His son to die as a substitute for us so that our sins could be on Him, and His “Imputed Righteousness” Could be On Us.
KEY: All Our Hope for Salvation Hangs on Beholding and Believing the Revelation of God’s Righteousness as a FREE Gift to Us.
- The book of Romans Demands many things of Us as Believers… But We are Not to do any of them in order to Take Away Our Guilt or Forgive Our Sin or get for Us the Gift of Righteousness.
- God Accomplished that Once For All in the Death of Jesus in Our Place; and He gave it to Us Freely through Faith the very Moment We Truly Believed.
- The Past Grace of Justification Secures the Believers Future Grace of Salvation & Glorification.
From this Secure Position we fight sin and unbelief…The Spiritual Warfare that Exists between our Fallen Nature and Gods Imputed New Nature Which We Received at Salvation Will Continue until we See Christ Face to Face! Victory Comes When as a Justified Sinner, We Live Daily in Christ’s Strength.
Verse 17 ends with,”The Righteous Will Live by Faith”. Verse 17 from the K.J. Version says, “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith”.
- Therefore…Faith is the essential thing about being righteous before God.
Lastly, “From Faith to Faith” is an Interesting phrase I want us to explore: The only real parallel to this phrase is in 2 Cor 2:15-16. “We are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life.” “From death to death,” and “from life to life” are identical in wording to “from faith to faith.”
Interpretation: When Paul’s message and sufferings meet with death in the soul, that leads to the final death of the soul…And when his message and sufferings meet with spiritual life, that leads to final life.
- Death is UNresponsive to the Gospel and is Confirmed in its Deadness Forever.
- BUT…Spiritual life is Responsive to the Gospel and is Confirmed and Preserved for Eternal Life.
- When the revelation of the gift of righteousness meets with faith it leads to future faith.
- In Romans 8:13, Paul says, “If you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.”
We All know that in Our War with Sin We do Not Win as Often as we should. Even King David said, My Sin is Always With Me Ps 51. So if our life hangs on perfect winning in the war with sin, we are going to despair and not persevere to the end. We will simply give up, because there is no use trying.
What then will keep us going and fighting so that we will live? Romans 1:16-17 answers: The gospel is the power of God to save believers because in the gospel we can see revealed every day that our standing with God is not based on our own righteousness but on God’s Righteousness Freely given to Us by Faith.
Here is what I want You to Understand…Your Confidence that God Will help YOU in Life and Save YOU from the Wrath to Come is Based Solely on Your Ever-Renewed Assurance that Your Acceptance with Christ is Based on the Free Gift of His Righteousness…NOT YOURS!
So every time the Bible demands YOU to do something do not think, “I must do this to take away my guilt or to get forgiveness or to get a right standing with God.”
- Rather think, “I will do this because my guilt is already removed, I am already forgiven, I already have the gift of God’s righteousness, and so I know that God is for me and will help me.
- I will trust, and obey him and display by my radical, obedience the glory of God’s grace. And I will draw nearer and nearer to him in the fellowship of his sufferings and the joy of his companionship.
POINT: God Did What I Could Not Do…So That I Could Be What I Dare Not Dream… Perfect Before God