JULY 12 PART 3 ROMANS 1:18-3:20 CONDEMNATION
Discuss that People Need the Lord…That is why the Church Exists. God Sized Void in Every Person…SONG
In Part One of this Series, There is a War in the Christian life between Flesh and Spirit. We battle with the flesh, but the battle is not with our physical body…The battle between the flesh and the spirit is the battle between the old man, who is fallen and corrupt, and the regenerated person, who is now living in Us by the Spirit of God”
The Primary Theme running through Paul’s letter to the Romans is the Revelation of God’s Righteousness in His Plan for Salvation…And that Romans Challenges Us to Consider…Does Our Day-to-Day Life Mirror the Beliefs We Hold…OR…Do We find Ourselves in a Constant Battle with Hypocrisy and Compromise?
In Part Two we looked at Romans 1:16-17 and that the Foundation for All Our Future Hope of Life, Joy and Salvation is Based on God’s Giving His Son to Die as a Substitute for Us so that Our Sins could be On Him, and His “Imputed Righteousness” Could be On Us.
- All Our Hope for Salvation Hangs on Beholding and Believing the Revelation of God’s Righteousness as a FREE Gift to Us.
After introducing the Righteousness that comes Only from God, Paul now devotes Romans 1:18 through 3:20 to Demonstrating How Every Person Needs God’s Righteousness. SOMETHING THE O.T. LAW COULD NOT DO!
You See…To Claim “Keeping the Law” as a means of Salvation is like Jumping Out of an Airplane with a Sack of Cement Strapped to Your Back Instead of a Parachute. Rather than Helping You, it Hastens and Intensifies your Disaster.
- We Will See the Only Parachute for Eternal Life is…GRACE!
It is GRACE ALONE…that Satisfies Gods Standard and Removes Gods Wrath Toward Our Sin…Accepting by Faith, the FREE Gift of Salvation Provided when Christ, Gods Son, Died on the Cross and Rose Victorious over Death on the 3rd Day.
Now, It’s Important to Understand that God’s Wrath…Is Different from Fury or Anger.
- The Wrath of God is God’s Holy Aversion to All that is Evil.
- It is His Ultimate Determination to Punish Sin…His Attitude Toward Sin is a Settled and Permanent Indignation Against Sin…Simply Put…God Hates Sin.
- God Loves People…But Hates Sin…This Caused God a Dilemma that Only He Could Satisfy! Which He Did on The Cross of Calvary.
He has Promised and Guaranteed that He Will Judge Sin…Yet, He does Not Strike Sinners Dead at the Instant of Disobedience…Because We Would ALL Be Dead!
- Instead, that Person who Disobeys God has God’s Wrath “Abiding On Him.”
And the Good News is that the Wrath Abiding on a Sinner Can Be Eliminated!
Through Sinning, People “Store Up” Wrath Against Themselves. When God’s Wrath is Unleashed at Judgment, it Becomes His Fury. Scripture Explains How this Works
- 2 Peter 3 tells us that God’s Wrath will one day Consume the World…But It is Being Held Back Now Because of His Patience.
- Hebrews 9:27 says…Every Person Will Have to Deal with God’s Wrath Personally after this Life. There are NO Second Chances after Death to Avoid God’s Wrath.
- In Matthew 3, John the Baptist’s message was to Avoid the Wrath to Come…For Believer’s, Christ Means Salvation…BUT…For Unbelievers…He Brings Wrath.
- John 3:36 makes the point that to Not Believe is to Have the Wrath of God Abiding on You. The Opposite of Eternal Life is The Wrath of God.
- Romans 2:5: Tells us that Each Sin “Stores Up” Wrath.
- Ephesians 2:3: says that Unbelievers are “Children of Wrath.”
- 3:5-6: Makes it clear that the Wrath of God Rightly Comes Upon Every Sin.
However, 1 Thess. 5:9: says, “For God did Not Appoint Us to Suffer Wrath but to Receive Salvation through Our Lord Jesus Christ”. GODS GREAT LOVE PROMISE!
- Again, For a Believer…There is No Future Wrath.
However…Listen to Rev. 6:16-17: They called to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17 For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can withstand it?
These Verses are SAD! What they are saying is that When the Wrath of God is Poured out, Unbelievers Will Know What It Is…But They Will Still NOT Repent.
This is Why LifePoint Church wants to Love those we Know so Much that We Share both the Bad and Good News…We ALL Have Sinned…But God Provided a FREE Gift of Salvation when He Died on the Cross and Rose 3 days Later in Victory over Sin!
- Christ Paid the Price and it is Ours FREE…All We have to Do is Confess Sin and Receive His Grace of Salvation!
KEY: Before People Will Receive God’s FREE Gift…They Need to Understand their Need for a Savior!
Romans 1:18-23 Gives Us an Explanation of Why People Need a Savior. “God’s Wrath Against Sinful Humanity” The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
VS 22 says the ultimate foolishness is “In Professing to be Wise, they Became Fools”
Vs 21 says, For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Therefore, Verse 24 says…God Gave them Over to Live Without HIm! Instead of Glorifying God…They Chose to Do What They Wanted!
Romans 1:24-32 Describes the Depths of Rejection of God by People who Choose Not to Respond to What they Know About God…Therefore…God Gave Them Over To Degrading Themselves, to Lust and to A Depraved Mind: Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. 28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
VS 18-23 Tells us Why “God Gave Them Over to Depravity: They Suppress the Truth…They do Not Honor God or Give Thanks And They Became Fools Exchanging God for False Gods.
- We See This in America Today…Mankind has Replaced God by Putting themselves in the Center of their Thinking and Beliefs…
- They have Exchanged Gods Truth for Human Wisdom and False God’s.
This leads to Verses 26-27 which says God Gave Them Over to Degrading Passions:
- This passage describes homosexuality as a “degrading passion” of those who have been abandoned by God because of their rejection of Him.
- One of the Heresies Today is that there is such a thing as a “Christian homosexual”
- An American denomination (Metropolitan Community Churches) exists to propagate this doctrine of Christian Homosexuality.
A Question that is often asked: Is there a Difference between Homosexual Sins and Heterosexual Immorality?
- I want to make it Clear that The Difference is Not that One Category of Sexual Sin Damns a Person More than other kinds…
- The difference is Only in the Degree of Deviance from God’s Design…Moving to a deeper form of Depravity.
1 Corinthians 6:18: “Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body”.
Romans 2:1–3:8 Deals with the kind of Person who compares Himself to others and feels he’s “Pretty Good.” This is What Keeps Him from Understanding His Need For Salvation!
Commentators have traditionally described this passage as aimed at “the Moralist.”
Anyone who justifies-rationalizes his own behavior while having a Critical Eye on others.
- He is often Unrepentant over his Sin because he is Enamored with his Own Performance (compares himself with others) Leaving him feeling Self-Righteous.
- The Moralist Fails to Realize He Must Compare Himself With God’s Standard!
The Moralist Makes Up Rules of Conduct that he Believes God Apparently Forgot to Include in His Word…He Appears to be Concerned about Holiness…However…This PRIDEFUL Person tends to be a Legalist (Adding Rules God Never Stated).
The Moralist Emphasizes Activities and Deeds Rather than Inner Character as the Definition of a Person Who Knows God. [Failing to Realize that GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART…NOT The Outward Appearance]
- The moralist thinks he’s doing just fine with God, and he Doesn’t Realize he is in Grave Danger of Missing Out on
- Paul had in mind the Jews of his day, who were like he was before he met Christ.
Let;s Look at Romans 2:1-4. “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?”
These Verses Tell us When We Judge Another, We are in Fact, Judging Ourselves.
- Correct Judgment uses God’s Word to Correct and Restore…Not Judge.
- You either apply God’s Word or You Make Yourself Judge and Jury…Putting Yourself in the Place of God.
- We are to be No Ones Judge…Only God Judges Perfectly/Correctly!
- We are to Love People into Jesus Arms by Sharing the Good News with the Sincere Hope they Will Receive Gods FREE Gift of Salvation or if a Christian Confess Sin.
2:11-16 makes it clear that God Does Not Show Favoritism. 12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
Two Categories of People: Gentiles (“without the law”) and Jews (“under the law”).
- There is No Difference in the Sense that All have Sinned, so All are Guilty before God
- Whether a Jew (Under the Law) of a Gentile (Without the Law) both are Held Accountable for Sin!
- We’re Righteous Before God when we Hold His Principles in Our Hearts and Do them
2:17-29. This section deals specifically with the Jews of the first century, but we will
see that it also has applications for us in the Church.
- The first-century Jew would have Agreed with Everything So Far in the book of Romans…But Would NOT have Applied it to Himself.
- He would Boast of his Relationship to God based upon the Covenant Relationship Between God and Israel, or based upon his superior knowledge of divine revelation, or based upon his circumcision as a symbol of an implied relationship with God.
This Passage Applies Especially to a Person who Feels he is Spiritual because of his Heritage or His Own Efforts to Live by a Code of Conduct.
- There are professing Christians who feel they’re Connected to God because of Baptism, or Church Membership, or because of their Bible Knowledge, or because of Sacraments, or because of their Morality in general.
- But such Beliefs are Counterfeits of the real thing; they Produce Pseudo-Spirituality.
Verses 17-20 Contain the boasts of a committed Jew at the time of the Apostle Paul. From it we can transfer these Attitudes to the Church today:
- Bears the name “Jew”: National Heritage, Today: Belonging to the right church, coming from the right background. [Affiliation Rather than Relationship]
- Relies upon the law (as he sees it): Leaning on his idea of the law of Moses. Today…Living by Any Code of Conduct Rather than by Grace. “God must like me a lot because I keep the rules better than most people.” [WORKS]
- Knows His Will: Claiming to know God’s will because of being in the right group. The Jews “knew God’s will” in the sense of having God’s word that reveals His will.
- Today Knowing Truth…But Not Surrendering and Living the Truth.
Rom. 3:9-18. Gives Us the Conclusion of what Paul has Written No One Is Righteous: What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” 13 “Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.” “The poison of vipers is on their lips.” 14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.” 15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood; 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know.” 18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.” 19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.
Vs: 10-18 are a long lists of horrible things true of all people, by nature…As America has Moved Away from God…We See these Things Intensify!
- Not every one of these things is visible in every unregenerate person all the time, but this is an accurate composite picture of the human race apart from God.
Vs: 19-20. We need God’s righteousness. The proliferation of quotes from the Old Testament has furnished the case that…Everyone’s objections have been addressed, No more excuses can be made because the Evidence is so Overwhelming that even those with the Greatest Spiritual Advantages are Still Guilty Before God and Need a Savior.
Conclusion: Many Don’t Understand Gods Anger Because they Confuse the Wrath of God with the Wrath of Man. Understand…The two have Little in Common.
- Human Anger is Self-Driven and Prone to Explosions of Temper and Violent Deeds.
- We get Ticked Off Because We’ve Been Overlooked, Neglected, or Cheated. This is the Anger of Man.
It is Not However the Anger of God… God Does Not Get Angry Because He Does Not Get His Way…He Gets Angry Because Sin Always Ends in Our Self-Destruction! And A Good Father Will Never Sit By and Watch His Children Hurt Themselves.
YOU: Do you know what is wrong with the world? Do you know what is wrong with America? Do you know what is wrong with the Democrats and the Republicans? Do you know what is wrong with everybody? It is Their Defiant Rejection of God.
If You Reject God…You will be Turned Over to Go Your Own Way…AND SIN…Leads You to Make the Worst Decisions You Could Ever Possibly Make with Your Life.
Here’s What I Have Found…Nobody wants to Talk about Wrath these days.
- Everyone Wants to Pretend like it is Not There.
- Everyone Wants to Read and Study Other Parts of the Bible.
But Paul begins his case for Christianity right here, that All people are Under the Wrath of God. There is only one means of escape, and that’s through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
There is Only One Cure for Your Sin…There is Only One Way to Sort Out what is Going on in this World. Ultimately, there is Only One Cure, and it is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Victory in the Christian Life Begins and Ends with Grace! Turning from our Works to Appease God and Humbly and Thankfully Living in God’s Grace each day.
POINT: Grace Alone Satisfies Gods Standard and Removes Gods Wrath Toward My Sin