: GALATIANS 5:22-23. AUDIO-VIDEO “THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT"
Last Week we said, Maturity In Christ Comes When We Realize that On Our Own…We Can Not Meet Gods Demand of Holiness…Only When We Humble Ourselves and Receive by Grace, God the Holy Spirit, can We Bear “Good Fruit”!
Because Walking By The Spirit Empowers Us
to Put Away the Habitual, Ongoing Evil Deeds of the Flesh and Instead Bear Good Fruit Produced by the Spirit.
When believers are Controlled by God the Holy Spirit, they Manifest:
The Christian Fabric is Built Upon The Upward Fruit of Love, Joy and Peace where… Love is the Foundation, Joy the Superstructure and Peace the Crown of All.”
- 3-Upward Fruit—Love, Joy and Peace (Gal. 5:22a)
- 3-Outward Fruit—Forbearance (Patience), Kindness and Goodness. (Gal.5:22b)
- 3-Inward Fruit—Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control (Gal. 5:23).
God Gave Each True Believer these 9 Manifestations of the Holy Spirit at Salvation and It is the Holy Spirits Goal to Transform Us into the Likeness of Jesus Christ for Mission!
When We Put the first 3 Manifestations of the Fruit of the Spirit Together in Our Relationship Towards God…Our First Love is For God…Our Chief Joy is Our Joy In God and… Our Deepest Peace is Our Peace With God.
And Here’s the Best Part…As We demonstrate these Manifestations of the Holy Spirit, We Will Impact Our World for Jesus Christ!
Galations 5:22-25 AMPLIFIED “But the fruit of the Spirit [the result of His presence within us] is love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature together with its passions and appetites. If we [claim to] live by the [Holy] Spirit, we must also walk by the Spirit [with personal integrity, godly character, and moral courage—our conduct empowered by the Holy Spirit].”
Today we’ll look at the
Outward Manifestations of the Fruit (Patience-Kindness-Goodness) and Inward Manifestations of Fruit (Faithfulness-Gentleness and Self-Control).
A Believer Controlled by the Holy Spirit, will Manifest Outward Fruit of Forbearance, (Patience
) Kindness and Goodness as We Daily Interact with Others!
Patience or Forbearance or Long-Suffering is the Fourth Manifestation of Fruit.
Psalm. 86:15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. And God Expects His children to be the Same.
- Patience has to do with tolerance and long-suffering that endure injuries inflicted by others, and the calm willingness to accept situations that are irritating or painful.
- God Himself is “Slow to Anger” and He Wants Us to Be Like Him!
We Must Never “think Lightly of the Riches of God’s own Kindness and Forbearance and Patience”
(Rom. 2:4) Instead…We are to Manifest the Attributes of God their Father.
2 Peter 3:9
- Consider…Daily we Provoke God with Our Sins, But He is Patient with Us. He is Slow to Anger and is long-suffering with the likes of us (Exod. 34:6; Ps. 103:8).
- However, His Patience is Not Boundless. There will come a day when He Will Act in Judgement…But because God is love, He is Patient…Forbearing.
- It is because of God’s Merciful Patience that He foretells Christ’s Second Coming and the Accompanying Judgment on Unbelievers.
says…The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
In Eph 4:1-3 & 7 We are to Emulate Our Lord’s Patience. “As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace…7 But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
Eph. 4:1–3 Makes Clear that Through the Holy Spirit, God’s Grace has been Given to Us so that We Maintain Unity by Bearing with One Another, which is Patience
The 5th Manifestation is Kindness. Kindness has the basic sense of “Excellent,” “Serviceable,” or “Useful.”
- If we take Offence at Every Slight, “Real or Imagined”, we are Breaking God’s Word.
- People Should Never Feel that they have to Tread on Eggshells in Our Presence.
True Kindness is taught in Ephesians 4:31-32, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
- When the word was applied to people it meant they were “worthy,” “decent,” “honest.”
- When a person is All that they are Supposed to be—when a human is Humane—that Person is Caring, Tenderhearted and Compassionate.
Some Mistake Kindness as just a Good Personal Quality that will Help People. IT’S MORE! Possessing Godly Kindness makes the Difference between Useful or Cast Aside.
- Kindness is Not just a Sweet Disposition: it is a Serving, Productive Trait as Well.
Jesus practiced kindness that was considered radical for that time and culture
- The Greek word for ‘kind’ is chrestos—meaning ‘useful.’ This means that kindness involves action. Kind people Actively look for Opportunities to show Kindness.
- Whether it’s paying for someone’s coffee at the drive-through behind you…Writing a note of encouragement to a friend, kindness requires action.
FACT: The ability to possess and deploy the fruit of kindness, even in the face of hostility, makes the difference between one who can be used of God and one who is cast aside because their hostility interferes in a presentation of truth that God will use.
The Sixth Manifestation of Fruit is Goodness…Moral and Spiritual Excellence
- His kindness often extended to the people that were not treated well, including the sick, poor and social outcasts. He healed them, prayed with them and fed them.
- Jesus also Displayed Kindness in the Face of Hostility!
that is known by its Sweetness and Active Kindness…It represents doing good to others.
The primary idea of Goodness is Generosity,
especially the kind of Generosity which Gives Someone what they Never Could have Earned.
Kindness and Goodness can sometimes seem the same…But they are very Different!
“Someone might display their Zeal for Goodness and Truth, in Rebuking, Correcting, Chastising,”
as when Christ drove the buyers and sellers from the temple, or when he pronounced woes against the scribes and Pharisees. This was the domain of Goodness.
Kindness, on the other hand, was what Christ Showed to the Sinful Woman who Wept at His Feet (Luke 7:37).
**Kindness and Goodness Balance Each Other Nicely.
KEY: Kindness Alone
might be too ready to Forgive Failure…Goodness Alone
might be too Ready to Condemn…HOWEVER…Working Together
, these 2 Manifestations of Fruit of the Spirit which were Found in Christ, Provide Us a Divine Balance.
Paul explaines in 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12
“With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith. 12 We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ”.
KEY: The Exercise of Goodness is Not that We may be Regarded as Good People, But that the Grace of God may be Seen as Evident in Our Lives and that He Would Receive the Praise and Glory for Fulfilling in Us, Our Resolve For Good.
Reflecting on these 3 Outward Fruits,
the Christian who is patient/long-suffering will Not Avenge themselves or Wish Difficulties on Those who Oppose Us.
Illustration: Christian Character is Deep Inside Us. It is Often Unseen
- We will be Kind and Gentle, even with the Most Offensive, and will Sow Goodness where Others Sow Discord and Evil.
- Human nature can Never do this on its Own…Only the Holy Spirit Can.
, like the soup carried in a dish high over a waiter’s head. Before it gets to the table, No One Knows What’s Inside—UNLESS THE WAITER GETS BUMPED AND TRIPS!
Likewise, People Don’t Know what’s Inside Us Until We’ve Been Bumped. But if Christ is Living Inside, what Spills Out is the Fruit of the Spirit.
A believer Controlled by the Holy Spirit will Manifest The Upward Fruit
of Love, Joy and Peace…The Outward Fruit
of Patience, Kindness and Goodness and Finally the Last 3 Manifestations which reflect the Inward Fruit
of Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.
These Manifestations of the INWARD FRUIT is All About the Integrity and Character of the Believer…Each of these Manifestations are a Testimony to Others Even When We are Not Speaking!
The final 3 Manifestations of Fruit, begin with the 7th quality, Faithfulness
(loving-kindness) which is the manifestation of the Fruit of the Spirit that pertains to Loyalty and Trustworthiness.
Paul explained in 1 Corinthians 4:1-2 This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. 2 Now it is required that those who have been given a Trust Must Prove Faithful.
When One’s Life Embodies this Fruit, it is an Element of Assurance of Eternal Life:
- Throughout Galatians Paul had spoken repeatedly of being justified by faith in this sense of the word.
- As an aspect of the Fruit of the Spirit, Pistis states: That Faithfulness is the Quality of being True, Trustworthy, and Reliable in All One’s Dealings with Others.
Revelation 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.
Gentleness/Meekness is the 8th Manifestation of the Fruit of the Spirit.
- VS 23, describes the Humble and Gentle Attitude that is Patiently Submissive in every Offense, while being Free of any Desire for Revenge or Retribution.
- C. Trench: Gentleness/Meekness: “does not consist in a person’s “outward behavior only; nor yet in his relations to his fellow-men…Rather it is an inwrought grace of the soul; and the exercises of it are first and chiefly towards God. It is that temper of Spirit in which we Accept His Dealings with Us as Good, and therefore Without Disputing or Resisting.”
1 Timothy 6:11-14
- Like their Lord, Believers are to Exemplify Gentleness/Meekness
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue Righteousness
, Godliness, Faith, Love, Endurance and Gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.
As can be seen from the description of Gentleness, this is No Passive Restraint. It Means We Must Battle those things that would War Against the Spirit.
- DISCUSS THIS BATTLE—ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS
Colossians 3:12-13 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
When the Fruit of the Holy Spirit is evident in our lives, We Will Embody Gentleness with One Another.
The 9th, and final Manifestation of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit is “Self-Control” which has a reference to Restraining Passions and Appetites
- Vs 12 Details those deeds of the flesh to battle and how Gentleness has a Godly regard for others that we would embody as if wearing it like a garment.
- Vs 13 Gentleness means Forgiving Others as the Lord has Forgiven Us.
Unlike God, who does Not need to Restrain Himself…As Perfect Holiness Possesses Perfect Control…We Have an Old Nature that Wars Against Naturally Being Holy! And it Wars Against Self Control!
HOWEVER… AS WE SURRENDER EACH STRUGGLE TO GOD…THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT MANIFEST IN US…SELF-CONTROL.
2 Peter 1:3-11 explains the Manifestation of Self-Control in the Christian life as Given from God.
His divine power has given us everything we need for a Godly Life
- For Pastor Josh and Me…this War Includes “Potters Bakery”! 😊
- But Seriously…Self-Control is NOT Natural for Any of Us…We All Have Areas in Our Lives that Causes Us to Struggle with Control.
through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. 10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,
11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Some have Misunderstood this scripture
…They Point to Verses 5-7 and say…God says We Are to Work to be Godly…When we take a closer look we Realize that is Not True!
Prior to Calling for “works,” in Verses 5-7…Peter Points to the Boundless Reservoirs of Grace and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit Already Available in Christ.
Make no mistake
- In Verses 3-4, Peter gives the Wonderful Promise that God Gives Us Everything We Need for Life and Godliness.
, the resources of Grace are Not a Substance Acquired from God
, but Rather it is the Spiritual Favor and Power that Comes from a Covenantal Union with Christ.
Augustine said, “Command what you will, oh God, but Give what You Command.” This prayerful axiom is an incredibly important lesson for Christians to learn: That the God who Demands Perfect Righteousness Supplies All that He Demands. This is the Good News of the New Covenant.
- John 15:5 says, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
As We Study the Fruit of the Holy Spirit We Understand that What is Truly in Our Hearts will be Reflected in Our Actions.
- 27:19 says, “As in water face reflects face, so a man’s heart reveals the man.”
Galatians 5 says that when we are walking in the flesh, our fruit will show
- We may think that we can walk in our own strength, outside of God’s will, and still appear to be living for Him, But Our Fruit Will Eventually Give Us Away.
- The Fruit in Our Lives Reveals What, or Who, is Really Controlling Our Heart.
as adultery, fornication, uncleanness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like….BUT, When we are walking in the Spirit, our fruit will show as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
- The truth of the matter is that the fruit of the flesh is what comes most naturally for us. In our natural state, we are selfish and indulgent.
- The Fruit of the Spirit is just that…HIS FRUIT. It comes from walking with Him and allowing Him to be the One to feed, water, and fertilize us.
John 15:4 reminds us that we cannot bear Fruit of Ourselves Unless We Abide in the Vine.
Gods Command in Galatians 5 is for Us is to Pay Attention to the Fruit We are Bearing. If we Notice Our Fruit has a Bad Taste, then Adjustments Need to be Made.
- As we abide in Jesus,(Vine) we will bear much fruit, and that fruit will be of the Spirit.
A Pastors Story
- We need to Let God Daily Fertilize, Prune, Protect, and Water us with His Spirit and His Word, so that our Fruit will Once Again be of Him and Reach the World for Christ.
, “My son spilled milk on our cloth couch. Instead of reacting in the flesh, yelling and belittling, allowing it to ruin our morning, or going out to buy a new couch, God gave me His Spirit to react with His fruit.
I was Patient and Kind
with my son. I practiced Self-Control
by thoroughly cleaning the couch instead of throwing it out and buying a new one (like I wanted to do), and I was able to show Joy
as I laughed with my kids when they pretended the uncovered couch cushions were cloud town. 🙂 Thank you, God.
What a perfect example you allowed me to live out…Abiding in the Vine,
Conclusion: God has Provided Everything YOU Need to Live a Life of Holiness and have a Meaningful and Fruitful Ministry…
God’s Greatest Desire is that YOU will Surrender to His Leading
and Let the Fruit of the Holy Spirit be Manifested In YOU and out To Your World
Each of Us Needs to Remember Today’s Point…
POINT: What God Commands of Us… He Has Already Given Us!