PART ONE AUDIO-VIDEO GALATIANS 5:22-23. “THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT”
If I Asked You What Qualifies Someone for a Specific Task? What Would You Say? There is a story of the testing of a candidate for Mission’s work: One snowy morning at 5:00 a.m., a missionary candidate rang the bell at a missionary examiner’s home. Ushered into the office, he sat three hours past his appointment time waiting for his interview. At 8:00 a.m. A retired missionary appeared and began his questioning. “Can You Spell?” Rather mystified, the candidate answered, “Yes, sir.” All right, spell “baker.” “B-A-K-E-R.” “Fine. The examiner continued Now, do you know anything about numbers?”. “Yes, sir, something.” “Please add 2 plus 2.” “Four,” replied the candidate. “That’s fine,” said the examiner. “I believe you have passed. I’ll tell the board tomorrow.”
Later at the board meeting, the examiner reported on the interview. “He has all the qualifications for a fine missionary.
- First, I tested him on Self-Denial, making him arrive at my home at five in the morning. He left a warm bed on a snowy morning without any complaint.
- Second, I tested him on Promptness. He arrived on time.
- Third, I examined him on Patience. I made him wait three hours to see me.
- Fourth, I tested him on He failed to show any anger or aggravation.
- Fifth, I tried his Humility by asking him questions that a seven-year-old child could answer, and he showed no indignation.
- So, I believe the candidate meets the requirements. He will make the fine missionary we need.” Then he Concluded by Saying GOD GIVEN ABILITIES ARE NEEDED…BUT SPIRIT-PRODUCED FRUIT IS MORE SIGNIFICANT!
PRINCIPLE: It is One thing to Overcome the Flesh and Not do “Evil Things”… JUST FOLLOW THE RULES…But It Is Quite Something Else to Do the Good Things that Require the Manisfestation of the Fruit of God the Holy Spirit.
Remember the Judaizers, that would boast that they are NOT outwardly guilty of adultery or murder but Jesus made it clear in Matthew 5:22
- “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.
- He also said, Anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ (Contempt) is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
- In Vs 28 Jesus said, But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Maturity In Christ Comes When We Realize that On Our Own…We Can Not Meet Gods Demand of Holiness…Only When We Humble Ourselves and Receive by Grace, God the Holy Spirit, can We Bear “Good Fruit”!
The Fruit of the Holy Spirit Represent the “Attitudes that Control and Dictate Our Actions”.
KEY: The Believer’s Manner of Life that God is Pleased with…Flows from the Inner Working Power of God the Holy Spirit Transforming Our Hearts.
Gal 5:16-18 So I say, Walk by the Spirit, and you will Not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in Conflict with Each Other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
- Each of Us Have a Spiritual Warfare Going On Between Our Old & New Natures.
- Daily We Must Choose Which Nature We Will Follow as We Walk Through Life.
Walking By The Spirit (V16) Empowers the Believer to Put Away the Habitual, Ongoing Evil Deeds of the Flesh and Instead Bear the Good Fruit Produced by the Spirit.
Gal. 5:17-23 Contrast the Deeds of the flesh versus Walking in the Fruit of the Spirit.
- Fleshly Deeds Include: Sexual Immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife jealously, fits of anger, rivalry’s, dissentions, envy, drunkenness, etc.
Deeds of the flesh are done by a person’s own efforts, Whether Saved or Unsaved.
HOWEVER…The Fruit of the Spirit, is Produced by God’s Own Spirit and Only in the Lives of those who Belong to Him Through Faith in Jesus Christ.
Notice that Paul does Not say, ‘The “fruits” of the Spirit are …’ But ‘The Fruit of the Spirit IS. This 9-fold Fruit of the Spirit is to be found in every Christian.
The Products of the Flesh are “Plural”, they Follow the Varied causes of Sin, The Lust of the Eyes, the Lust of the Flesh and the Pride of Life…Whereas the Product of the Spirit is “Singular”.
- There is One Spirit and the Holy Spirit Produces One Kind of Fruit,
- The 9 Together are the Fruit that Mark the Christian, like a Cluster of 9 Grapes.
- Paul names them the Fruit of the Spirit…Teaching that the Production of the Fruit is a Supernatural Work.
The Spirit Plants the Seed of this Fruit when He Regenerates Us at Salvation and Immediately, He Begins to Cultivate These Graces (Godly Character) Within Us.
- Therefore, the Fruit Is A Necessary Evidence of the NEW BIRTH.
***I’m Going to Make a Strong Statement…The Person who is NOT Developing this Fruit Over a Period of Time (Becoming More Like Christ) is UNREGENERATE!
- Today it is Popular to Speak About Christ without Living a Life Focused on Holiness!
- The Attitude of the Pharisees…An Outward Showing without Spirit-Led Living!
Parable of the Sower of the Seeds…Matthew 13: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.
- Hearts of Stone and Thorns Choke Out the Work of God the Holy Spirit.
To Be Good Soil We Must Constantly Remove the Rocks of Hardness…Get Rid of the Thorns of Busyness that Choke Out Our Time with Christ! And Give Room for the Holy Spirit to Teach Us and Transform Us Through the Power Of God’s Holy Spirit.
- God Has Provided Everything We Need to Be Good Soil…Confess Sin, Make God’s Word, Prayer & Fellowship with the Community of Christ a Priority.
In Galatians 5:22–23 Paul lists Nine Representative Characteristics of the Godly Fruit Produced by the Holy Spirit in a Believer’s Life.
- These are Multiple Characteristics of One Fruit.
- They are Not Produced Nor can they be Manifested in Isolation from Each Other.
- Each of the nine qualities flows into One Another, Mutually Enriching and Reinforcing the Process of Sanctification (Less Us…More Jesus!) in the life of the believer.
You Cannot Pick and Choose Which Parts of the Fruit You Want and Which You Do Not Want…It Requires All 9 Manifestations of the Fruit to Become Like Christ!
- Jesus is the Supreme Example and the Holy Spirit is the Only Source.
- The Fruit of the Spirit is the Outward Indicator of Salvation.
- A believer’s Sonship to God and Citizenship in His Kingdom ( 21) are manifested by the Fruit the Spirit produced in their Life.
- We will discuss the Principles of each Fruit and Applications of a Maturing Christian.
In this Series, We will See There are 3 Groups of 3 Virtues Each.
- When believers are Controlled by God the Holy Spirit, they manifest:
- 3-Upward Fruit—Love, Joy and Peace (Gal. 5:22a)
- 3-Outward Fruit—Forbearance (Patience), Kindness and Goodness. (Gal.5:22b)
- 3-Inward Fruit—Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control (Gal. 5:23).
Gal 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Today we will look at the “Upward Fruit” of Love, Joy and Peace (Gal 5:22a)
- These 3 Virtues can be Considered Habits of Mind which find their Source in God.
Jesus Said: Matthew 7:16-18 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.
- If Our Lives Leave a Sour or Bitter Taste in the Mouth of Another We are Bad Fruit!
The 1st Characteristic of Spiritual Fruit is Love, the Supreme Virtue of Christian living
1 Cor 13:13 Love is the Foundation for all the Other Manifestations of the Fruit of the Spirit!
- As Christ Declared in Matthew 22, “the Whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, ‘You Shall Love God with Everything and Love Your Neighbor as Yourself’
The Greek word used here for love is Agapē. Which Means…Make a Choice to Sacrificially be Willing to Surrender Our Rights and Put Another Person First.
True Agapē Love is a Sure Mark of Salvation:
- 1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does Not Love remains in death.
- 1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who Loves has been Born of God and Knows God.
For Believers, Love is NOT an Option…BUT A COMMAND To “WALK IN LOVE,”
Paul declared in Ephesians 5:1-2: Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and Walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
This Command Cannot be Fulfilled Apart from the Holy Spirit, the Source of this and All the other Manifestations of Spiritual Fruit are an Outward Manifestation of God in One’s Life
Paul explained to Roman believers (Romans 5:5). “…God’s Love has been Poured Out into Our Hearts Through the Holy Spirit, who has been Given to Us”.
KEY POINT: What has been “Provided Once for All” by the Cross of Christ…Must Be Worked Out in Practice.
The Second Manifestation of the Fruit of the Spirit is JOY. Joy (Chara) is the deep-down sense of well-being that abides in the heart of the person who knows all is well between themselves and the Lord.
It is Not an Experience that comes from Favorable Circumstances! Happiness Depends on Circumstances…BUT…TRUE JOY DOES NOT.
- Neh 8:10 declared, “The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength”. “A GIFT of GOD”
1 Peter 1:8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are Filled with an Inexpressible and Glorious Joy,
Joy is a Part of God’s Very Own Nature and Spirit that He manifests in His children.
- Joy is the Inevitable Overflow of Receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and of the Believer Experiencing His Continual Presence.
As Stated, Joy Does Not come from Favorable Human Circumstances. Rather…It is Sometimes Greatest when those Circumstances are the Most Painful and Severe.
- Here’s Why: It is in the midst of our Hardest Circumstances that God Comes Close
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Jesus told His disciples in John 16: 20-22 “Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but Your Grief will Turn to Joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and No One Will Take Away Your Joy.
FACT: God’s Joy is Complete in Every Way…Nothing Human or Circumstantial can Add to it or Detract from it. HOWEVER…it is Only Fulfilled in a Believer’s Life Through Reliance Upon and Obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ.
Joy is a Gift of God through His Holy Spirit to All who Belong to Christ… it is Not for believers to Manufacture or try to Imitate it.
Like Love…Only the Holy Spirit Can Empower Us to do what Paul Commands in Phil. 4:4…“Rejoice in the Lord Always; Again I Will Say, Rejoice!”
The Command is to Gratefully Accept Every Situation as From the Lord and Find Joy in What God is doing at that Moment!
- JOY speaks of the Exhilaration of Heart that Comes from Being Right with God.
The Third Fruit Peace…Refers to the Tranquility of Mind that Comes from this Saving Relationship with Jesus Christ.
The Verb form has to do with Binding Together and is Reflected in the Modern Expression “Having it All Together.” Everything is in place and as it ought to be.
“Peace,” Heb. šālôm, means more than the negative notion of absence of war and trouble; Rather…it denotes a positive state of “wholeness”—“soundness” and “prosperity.”
In the Septuagint Salom “describes health of body, welfare and security, perfect Serenity and Tranquility, a life and a state in which a person is perfectly related to others and God.
- Like Joy, Peace has NO Relationship to Your Circumstances.
- Peace is NOT the Absence of Problems…It is the Presence of Jesus Christ!
Christians Have Peace, NOT because they are Oblivious to Circumstances. It’s Because they have Confidence in God, who “Causes All things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Rom. 8:28).
- Therefore, there is Absolutely No reason for a believer to be Anxious or Afraid.
Phil. 4:6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
“The Christian Fabric is Built Upon these 3 Manisfestations of the Holy Spirit where…Love is the Foundation, Joy the Superstructure, Peace the Crown of All.”
So…When We Put these 3 Manifestations of the Upward Fruit of the Spirit Together in Our Relationship Towards God…
- Our First Love is For God…
- Our Chief Joy is Our Joy In God and…
- Our Deepest Peace is Our Peace With God…Which Yields the Peace Of God!
This is NOT Something We Can Achieve on Our Own. In Can Only Be a Manifestation of God’s Holy Spirit in Our lives! NOT WORKS…HOLY SPIRIT PRODUCED!
Here are a Couple Illustrations to Support what I’m Saying:
Illustration #1 Defines what is Required of the Believer: The Spirit’s provision of fruit might be compared to a man standing on a ladder in an orchard, picking the fruit and dropping it into a basket held by a helper below (US). No matter how much Fruit is picked and dropped, the Helper will Not Receive Any Unless they are Standing Under the Ladder with Their Basket Ready.
Illustration #2 Makes Clear that this Fruit Cannot be Manufactured on Our Own: A machine in a factory turns out a product, but it could never manufacture Fruit. Fruit must Grow out of Life, and, in the case of the Believer, it is the Life of God the Holy Spirit.
Gal. 5:25 “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”
KEY: When You Received Jesus Christ as Your Savior…God the Holy Spirit Came in and Dwelt [Deposited] in Your Spirit…With One Goal to Make You More Like Christ.
However, This Transformation…Can Only Happen when We Allow the Upward Fruit of Love, Joy and Peace to be Manifested In Our Lives…by…
- PUTTING GOD FIRST IN OUR LIVES…
- MAKING HIM OUR CHIEF JOY…
- AND THEREBY RECIEVING HIS SUPERNATURAL PEACE IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!
And Here’s the Best Part…As We demonstrate these Manifestations of the Holy Spirit, We Will Impact Our World for Jesus Christ!
Psalm 34:8a Invites Us to, “Taste and See that the Lord is Good.”
TODAY’S “LIFE” POINT: WHEN OTHERS TASTE YOUR FRUIT…DO THEY TASTE THE LORD’S GOODNESS?