10 And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel replied, [Little boy—DP] “Speak, your servant is listening.” 1 Sam 3:10
God spoke—Samuel heard the voice of God—Pretty cool!
Problem—What God said to Samuel wasn’t easy for him to hear.
How often did God give an easy assignment—Never!
- Noah—Build a massive ark
- Jonah—had to witness to the most wicked people
Don’t ask God to speak—If you don’t want to hear what he says!
Prayer is not just talking—Prayer is listening!
In prayer, way more is accomplished by listening than by talking!
HOW DO I LEARN TO HEAR GOD’S VOICE?
- BE STILL.
10 “Be still, and know that I am God! Ps 46:10 (Be… Still…)
To hear God’s voice—Slow pace—Turn down the world’s volume!
- God speaks through his Word. (Directs, Guides, Corrects, Same)
- God speaks through people. (godly friend, sermon)
- God speaks through circumstances.
- God speaks through his Spirit. (Prompted… Moved… Led)
- BE WILLING.
- Show me my sins? Motives? (Listen)
- Love my husband far from God? (Listen)
- Use my gifts church? (Listen)
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:6
Warning—Make sure you’ve obeyed what he showed you last!
Why don’t I sense God? Feel God’s presence?
Maybe he isn’t showing you what to do in the future because you haven’t done what he gave you to do in the past.
2. BE READY.
When God speaks—Might not want to hear what he says! (Samuel)
Don’t pray it if you don’t want to hear what he has to say.