Meaning(less) A series on Ecclesiastes
Part 5 – 11/29/2020
Chapter 12:9-14 – we have been given wisdom in the preceding chapters, now Solomon talks about living according to a creed.
12:9 Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs.
- It’s good to have wisdom but it’s even better to be wise AND teach it and pass it on to the next generation.
12:10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.
- The writings of the Bible are admonitions just as God created them.
- God will not mislead you.
- Man’s wisdom may steer you wrong.
- God’s truth NEVER will.
- God will not mislead you.
12:11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd.
- What is a goad? A shepherd had 2 instruments – a shepherd’s staff is a long instrument (staff would comfort you – it could deal a blow to an enemy). The rod was short, it was used to protect the sheep from the greatest enemy – itself. The rod would guide the sheep.
- The rod or goad will help keep that sheep in place, moving them to where they need to be.
- The Word of God is like that goad. It can make you uncomfortable, getting you back in the direction of where you need to be. – Protective instrument
- 11b – “firmly embedded nail” – peg. Nail the peg in, and hang your valuables on. The Messiah was referred to as a peg in the book of Zacharaiah.
- Are you intentional with your time with the Lord?
- Prophet or Parrot?
- Make this your sweetest time of the day.
12:12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
- Be warned going beyond your Bible and trusting in humans.
- Man is a finite creature, and will never come to an infinite mind.
- The Bible can only come from God.
12:13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.
- Fear God and Keep His commandments.
- This is the whole of man – the essence of what a human should be
- Chief end of man – to know God and enjoy Him forever.
- You’ll know God if you walk with Him
12:14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
- Everything you work towards ushers you into eternity.
- You don’t get a redo of life. Make this one count for eternity.
- Learn about God and obey Him
- Don’t assume that because you obey God, “No bad thing will happen to you”
- When bad does happen, rest in God – rest in God’s Sovereignty
- Hold your course by doing what is right – stay poised (the safest place to be is in the good conscience of God).
- Live boldly – don’t worry about what might happen, live a holy life and let the chips fall as they might.
- Enjoy your life. Work hard and you go home and enjoy your family.