Meaning(less) A series on Ecclesiastes
Part 4 – 11/15/2020
10:1 As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.
- One foolish act will curse your integrity
10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.
- A wise man’s heart will make him strong and talented
- A foolish man’s heart inclines to the left – weakness
10:3 Even as fools walk along the road, they lack sense and show everyone how stupid they are.
- Don’t abandon your position when evil happens. Don’t become disobedient
10:4 If a ruler’s anger rises against you, do not leave your post; calmness can lay great offenses to rest.
- Don’t abandon doing the right thing simply because it didn’t bring about a quick result that you were hoping for.
10:5 There is an evil I have seen under the sun, the sort of error that arises from a ruler:
- Bad people can get into a place of authority
10:8 Whoever digs a pit may fall into it; whoever breaks through a wall may be bitten by a snake.
- It’s possible that a bad thing can come from a good action.
10:10 If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed, but skill will bring success.
- You still have an edge if you are wise, and plan ahead, and always do the right thing.
KEY: You can’t control all things, but you can have an edge in life if you continue in wisdom.
10:11 If a snake bites before it is charmed, the charmer receives no fee.
- Do the right thing early on and experience God’s blessing.
10:13-14 At the beginning their words are folly; at the end they are wicked madness—and fools multiply words. No one knows what is coming— who can tell someone else what will happen after them?
- The fool who goes against God’s wisdom will not know when, but he will hurt himself at some point in life.
10:15 The toil of fools wearies them; they do not know the way to town.
- This person, the fool, not only do they not know the way of God, they don’t even know the simple skills of life.
- Sin makes you ignorant, it misleads you.
18 Through laziness, the rafters sag; because of idle hands, the house leaks.
- A house will fall apart if wisdom is not applied
- Sin makes the life weak and faulty, and a life incompetent.
10:19 A feast is made for laughter, wine makes life merry, and money is the answer for everything.
- Sarcastic statement.
- This verse is showing us how a fool sees everything.
10:20 Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird in the sky may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say.
- When you say something about someone else, you are opening up yourself to having it come back around to you.
- Be gracious with your words.
- Righteousness is always the best way
THE POINT: When tough times come, don’t abandon your position of doing what’s right.