PART 3 NOV 1: SOVEREIGNTY
Today we finish our Series on Gods Sovereignty, We’ve looked at various scriptures like:
Ps 33:10-11 The Lord foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. 11 But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.
Isaiah 40:23: He brings Princes to Naught and Reduces the Rulers of this World to Nothing.
We Looked at this Truth In Daniel 4, King Nebuchadnezzar was so proud that in arrogance he believed that he himself had built Babylon by his own power for his own glory.
To show him that the Most High Alone Gives Kingdoms to Whom He Wills, God brought King Nebuchadnezzar down to the Lowliest of Places,
- The kingdom was taken from him, and he lived with the beasts, eating grass. “His hair grew as long as eagles’ feathers and his nails were like birds’ claws.”
After 7 Years, Nebuchadnezzar realizes the Sovereignty of God Over All Kingdoms!
- Daniel 4:34-35 “I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever. His dominion is an eternal dominion; his kingdom endures from generation to generation. 35 All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: “What have you done?”
Last week We Focused on Isaiah 46:8–11 “…I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. 10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ 11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.
Based on this text, We see that the Sovereignty of God Means…HE HAS the Rightful Authority, Freedom, Wisdom, and Power to Bring about Everything that He intends to Happen. Therefore, Everything He Intends to Come About Does Come About.
Ephesians 1:11 says, “In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.”
This Vs Means that All things — from the Roll of the Dice, to the Circuits of Stars. From the Death of Jesus, and the Gift of Your Repentance and Faith…To the Rise and Fall of Presidents. GOD PURPOSED EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD AND IN YOUR LIFE!
We Focused on One Word…Stewardship…Christians are Stewards of Everything God Has Given Us…Including Being Stewards of the Ballot Box!
As Your Pastor, I said that My Responsibility is to Help Educate and Equip You To Think Biblically About Everything that God has Placed within Your Life including Political Issues, Candidates and Party Platforms as it Relates to Christian Stewardship!
Christians are Called to Honor God in Every Area of Our Lives…Therefore Christian Stewardship Requires We Stand On Gods Principles! Principles that In America are being Kicked to the Curb:
- When it Comes to Abortion and the Personhood of the Unborn, the Bible is Clear—Life Begins at Conception and Abortion is Murder
- Regarding Marriage, the Bible is Straightforward and Defines Marriage as a Lifelong Covenant between a Man and a Woman…
- And Scripture is also very clear that homosexual conduct is…IMMORAL!
KEY: WHEN YOU VOTE THE BIBLE…YOU HONOR GOD…AND HE BLESSES YOU!
TODAY, as we Conclude this Series On Gods Sovereignty And Our Responsibility to It…I Want to Give You Four Biblical Principles:
ONE: Our Lord Rules Supreme Over All Rulers
Consider what we learned from Daniel 4…Daniel 4 Opens and Closes with a Universal Declaration of God’s Sovereign Power Over All Nations and All Rulers.
King Nebuchadnezzar like today’s Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and the Green Party All want their candidates to be in charge…
But 3 times God’s Word tells us in verses 17, 25, and 32: “The Most High is Sovereign over the kingdoms of men, and gives them to anyone He wishes.”
The title, “The Most High (God),” occurs 6 times in this Chapter.
- It emphasizes the Lord’s Complete Sovereignty Over All the Earth and All its Leaders.
- This Truth is Driven Home in Isaiah 40:17 “Before Him all the nations are nothing” and V 23“He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of the world to nothing.”
- Rev. 19:15-16 tells us that “He will rule (the nations) with an iron scepter, and that Jesus Christ is “King of Kings and Lord of Lords.”
Here Is What that Means for Us on Nov.3RD. No Matter Who Our New President is, Our God Will Continue to Rule Over that Person.
- The Lord’s Total Sovereignty Over the Nations of the World is Not in the Least Bit Threatened or Challenged by either a President Trump or a President Biden.
- This Alone should Cause Us to Rejoice in Our Great and Awesome God! And To Trust and Rest in the Lord.
TWO: Our Lord Can Humble the Most Egotistical Ruler. In Daniel chapter 4, Notice who declares the great truth that “The most High is Sovereign Over the Kingdoms of Men, and Gives Them to Anyone He Wishes”? That’s Right…It’s None other than the Big-headed and Egotistical Ruler…Nebuchadnezzar!
Previously, we discussed, that after all his arrogant and prideful boasting, the Lord humbled Nebuchadnezzar, so that he behaved like a wild animal.
- But after that, the Lord had mercy on him and restored him. (v. 34).
- At that point, Nebuchadnezzar finally understood that God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble (Prov. 3:34; 1 Peter 5:6).This is the essence of True Humility, for All of Us, isn’t it: to know that you and I are nothing, and that God is everything.
- The Result was that the king was exalted (vs 36), as he confessed that “The most High is Sovereign over the kingdoms of men, and gives them to anyone He wishes”
Think about that: What an Awesome God We Worship, that even the most egotistical ruler was transformed into a humble person, who declared God’s glory and power!
Therefore, if someone as prideful and self-centered as Nebuchadnezzar can be humbled, restored, and transformed by God’s power, then No one is too hard for the Lord to reach! This Includes You, Me Those we Pray for and of course Politicians!
- God Can do the same thing in 2020, with Both Donald Trump and Joe Biden!
Even If Trump Wins…It Will Not Be Trump that “Makes America Great Again”, OH…He May Use President Trump as he Humbles himself to God…But it Will Be God Alone in His Sovereign Wisdom and Purpose Who Can Make America Great!
The Lord Will get the Last Word. The Lord Alone Will be Exalted! He can take the Worst of Sinners and Make them into Objects of His Glory! So, let’s pray that God gets the Glory in Our Next President’s Life! …Amen?
THREE: Our Lord Controls the Elections…There’s talk of the upcoming elections being rigged, and worries about interference by Russia and Others…But we Must Remind Ourselves that the Lord is in Control Over the People Who Rule the Nations!
Therefore, we believe that the Lord is also in control over the process by which those people are put into power, including the elections that will take place this Tuesday.
Daniel 2:21 Supports this Claim: “The Lord Sets Up Kings And Deposes Them”
Think about that. The Aramaic word “Sets Up” means to appoint, to establish, to raise up.
- It’s the word used in Dan. 6:1 where it says that Darius appointed 120 satraps to rule throughout the kingdom.
- God is reminding us in Dan. 2:21 that He alone is the One who Sovereignly Directs How People get Appointed or Elected to Positions of Authority.
This is what our Lord Jesus Christ meant in John 19:11 when he said to Pilate, “You would Have No Power Over Me if it were Not Given to You from Above.”
Romans 13:1 “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.”
We Hold Firmly to 3 Truths: 1. Our Lord is Sovereign Over All Rulers. 2. Our Lord is Sovereign Over How People Become Rulers. 3. Our Lord is Sovereign Over How Long People Remain in Power.
FOUR: Our Lord May Give Us the Ruler We Deserve, as Part of His Merciful Judgment
- The Focus of the Bible is the Redemptive History which Focuses on Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, to the Glory of God.
- At the same time, there are several books in the Bible that Deal Specifically with God’s Mercy and/or Judgment Upon Pagan Nations, and Secular Rulers.
We read about God’s judgment of secular nations and pagan rulers in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, and Amos.
- Obadiah speaks of God’s judgment on Edom, and Nahum contains God’s condemnation of Nineveh. Much of the book of Revelation is about God’s Glory in Salvation through His Judgement of the Nations.
One of the truths we see over and over in these and other sections of Scripture is that… God Often Gives People the Rulers they Deserve, as Part of His Merciful Judgment. And this may be what God is doing to us in America through these elections.
I read an article by a Minneapolis Pastor and seminary professor titled, “The Gift of God’s Judgment”…I will Quote and Paraphrase from his article:
“Christians who support Trump will argue that Biden’s election would push this country over the cliff, with liberal activists appointed to the Supreme Court, and with abortion further enshrined in our national culture.”
“Christian supporters of Biden feel the same, in the other direction. If Trump is elected, they argue, we’re endorsing a man who degrades women, minorities, and others.
In both cases, supporters of one candidate see the election of the other as pushing us over the cliff.”
“Other believers see both candidates as representing a Colossal Failure for this nation, and the Election of Either One of them is Evidence of God’s Judgment on America.
I Believe that God is Holding a Mirror Up to America…Showing Us Who We Are as a Nation. God Will Give Us the Leader We Deserve as a Part of His Mercy or Judgment!
I Know that Embracing God’s Judgments May Sound Odd to Our Ears. I mean, How could We Embrace Something as Painful and Awful as Divine Judgment?
But this is because We Misunderstand God’s Judgments. God’s Judgments are Not just when things go Wrong…They Are When God Starts to Put Things Right.
To Embrace the Judgment of God for these Elections, Mean’s that As a Nation We Repent of Our Sins. Judgment Always Begins with the Household of God.
2 Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
1 Peter 4:16-19 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And, “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” 19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will, should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
These Verses make it Clear that God Uses the Judgment that Nations Deserve to Also Refine and Purify His People, in the Midst of Suffering. Heartfelt repentance for our sins is where we must start.
None of the Above Points Dictate How You Should Vote.
- Some believers will regrettably vote for the candidate who is the lesser of two evils, believing that the other candidate will lead us on the expressway to hell on earth.
- Other Christians may find wisdom and prudence leading them to an independent or third-party candidate, because of their conscience.
- They don’t think they could look themselves in the mirror if they voted for candidates that are as morally unfit as the two major party candidates are.
BUT…Remember…Presidents, Senators, and Supreme Court Justices Cannot Save Our Nation or Change People’s Hearts…Only the Lord Can Do That.
Therefore, We Vote the Bible and Leave the Rest Up To a Sovereign God!
POINT: Rest in the Lord’s Sovereignty Always, And Over these Elections. Believe that He Will Bring Glory to Himself Through the Leader He Appoints.