PART 2: The Sovereignty of God ‘I Will Accomplish All My Purpose’
Last Week I said…True or False…
God’s sovereign rule over nations is dependent upon the leaders of those nations submitting to His authority. Then I said if you answered True…You have an Incorrect View of God.
We Understand that…The God who Commanded the Universe into Existence and who Sustains the Universe does NOT DEPEND on the Leaders of Nations…Whether that be Presidents, Kings, etc. to Carry Out His Sovereign Decreed Will.
You See…God is Without Equal:
He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords, Without Limitation in any Way. He is Outside of Time. He is Infinite
. He had No Beginning and He has No End. He is the Ruler of Everything…Including You and Me.
Col 1:17 He is (Existed) Before All Things, and in Him All Things Hold Together.
As I said Last Week…Because God is Sovereign There Isn’t Anything that Will Enter Your Life that God does Not Either Decree or Allow…And Nothing Will Ever Enter Your Life that, if You are Willing to Trust in Him, He Cannot Work Out for Your Good.
This is Why We Trust Him …AND MORE…THIS IS WHY WE WORSHIP HIM
…God is More Powerful, More Loving, and More in Control than We’ve Ever Imagined.
The Foundational and Priceless Truth of All Scripture is the Sovereignty of God!
Isaiah 46:8–11 “Remember this, keep it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. 9 Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. 10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ 11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.
Verse 9 says “I am God, and there is No other; I am God, and there is None like Me.”
Verse 10: What it means for Me to be God is that “I Declare the End from the Beginning and from Ancient Times Things Not Yet Done.”
Here God Makes Two Points:
- This VS Makes Clear the Uniqueness of God among All the beings of the Universe.
- God says, I Am in a Class All by Myself…No One is Like Me and the issue we are to look at today is…What it Means to Be God.
- VS-8 says, Remember this, keep it in mind,take it to heart, you rebels.
- God is saying, When something is happening in Your Life…God Responds, “I Am God!” His Point: Act like You Know What it Means for Me to be God.
- I declare how things turn out long before they ever happen.
Now…You might Say, “What We have here is the Doctrine of God’s Foreknowledge… Not the Doctrine of his Sovereignty.”
And That Would Seem Right Until…You Read the Next Half of the Verse, where God tells us how he Foreknows the End and “HOW” He Foreknows the things Not Yet Done
- I declare both natural events and human events-doings, things that are Not yet done.
In other words
- Verse 10b: ”I make known the end from the beginning,from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My Purpose Will Stand, and I Will Do All that I Please.’
, the Way He Declares His Foreknowledge is by Declaring His “Fore-Counsel” and His “Fore-Purposing”.
God Knows What the Future is Because…He Plans the Future and Accomplishes It.
- God declares the end long before it happens, “My Purpose Will Stand.”…And God declares things Not yet done long before they are done, “I Will Do All That I Please.”
- The future is the Counsel of God being Established.
- The future is the Purpose of God being Accomplished by God.
, What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do Confirms that he means: “I have Spoken, and I Will Bring it to Pass; I have Purposed, and I Will Do It.”
In other words God is Saying, the Reason My Predictions Come True is Because they are My Purposes, and Because I Myself Perform them.
God is Not a Fortune-teller, a Soothsayer or a mere Predictor and He Doesn’t have a Crystal Ball.
- Simply Put… Since God is Everywhere Present…He Knows what is Coming, and because He Plans what is Coming, He Performs what He Plans.
- God says, ‘My Counsel Shall Stand, and I Will Accomplish All My Purpose.’
God does Not form purposes and wonder IF
someone else will take responsibility to make them happen…God Makes it Clear, “I Will Accomplish All My Purpose.”
Based on this text, what is meant by the Sovereignty of God is HE HAS the Rightful Authority, Freedom, Wisdom, and Power to Bring about Everything that He intends to Happen. Therefore, Everything He Intends to Come About Does Come About.
When God says, “I will accomplish All My Purpose,” He means, “Nothing Happens Except what is His Sovereign Purpose.”
A Critical Question For Every Christian is…When I Face a Difficulty…Will I Turn from My Doubts and Fears and Praise His Power and Grace, and Bow with Glad Submission to the Absolute Sovereignty of God…Or, will You Stiffen Your Neck and Resist Him?
The Real Question is…Will You See The Sovereignty of God AS… Your Only Hope
- OR… Everything that Has Happened or Will Happen is Purposed by God to Happen.
for Life in the Midst of Your SIN?
- Will You See The Sovereignty of God as…Your Only Hope for Answers to Your Prayers?
- Will You See The Sovereignty of God as…Your Only Hope for Success in Your Evangelism?
- Will You See the Sovereignty of God as…Your Only Hope for Novembers Election?
- Will You See The Sovereignty of God as…Your Only Hope for Meaning in the Midst Of Your Trials? Or…will You insist that there is a better hope, or No hope? That’s the Question We All Will Face Every Day.
Now, Let me be clear that nothing you are about to hear Contradicts the Real Moral Responsibility that Humans, Angels, and Demons Have to Do What God Commands.
God has Given Each of Us a Will…How We Use it Makes Our Eternal Difference.
God’s Sovereignty can be Divided into 2 Main Areas: 1.
His Governing Natural Events (Physical Processes)
and 2. His Governing Of Human Events (Human Choices).
Number One: God’s Sovereignty Over Nature:
God is Sovereign Over what Appears the Most Random Acts in the World. Proverbs 15:33
says, “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.”
- In Modern Language We Would Say, “The dice are rolled on the table and every play is decided by God.”
- There are NO events so Small that He Does Not Rule for His Purposes. Jesus said, “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered” Matt 10: 29-30.
The BIG Question: “Will We see Our Greatest Hope in the Sovereignty of God, or Will We Insist there is a Better One?”
- From Every Roll of the Dice in Vegas…And Every tiny Bird that Falls Dead— To Whom God Allows to Be Our Next President…All Of This Is God’s Command.
- From worms in the ground to stars in the galaxies, God Governs the Natural World.
In the book of Jonah, God commands a fish to swallow (1:17), God commands a plant to grow (4:6) and commands a worm to kill it (4:7).
Isaiah 40:26 says, “Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.”
- And far above the life of worms, the stars take their place and hold their place at God’s command.
Psalm 147:15-18 says
- How much more, then, will God Reign Sovereign Over the natural events of this world — from weather, to disasters, to disease, to disability, to death.
, “He sends his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly. 16 He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes. 17 He hurls down his hail like pebbles. Who can withstand his icy blast? 18 He sends his word and melts them; he stirs up his breezes, and the waters flow.”
God Could Have Stilled the Winds…
So snow. rain, cold, heat, and wind are all the work of God. So when Jesus finds himself in the middle of a raging storm, he speaks, Peace! Be still!”
The text says, “the wind ceased, and there was a great calm”
Peace Be Still…
There is No wind, No storm, No hurricane, No cyclone, No typhoon, No monsoon, No tornado over which Jesus can say “Be still,” and it Will Not Obey.
- Which means, IF it blows, He intends for it to blow. Amos 3:6 “Does disaster come to a city, unless the Lord has done it?”
All Jesus had to do with Hurricane Laura which became the strongest tropical cyclone on record in terms of windspeed to make landfall in Louisiana, was say, “Be still,” and there would have been No Damage and No Loss of life.
In Exodus Moses says, I am Slow to Speak, “The Lord said to Moses
, ‘Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?’
1 Peter 4:19 Peter said to the suffering saints in Asia Minor, “Let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good”
Whether We Suffer from Disability, or from the Evil of Others, God is the One who Ultimately Decides Our Outcome —Deut. 32:39 says, “There is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.”
James 4:13-15: “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit’, yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.’”
of the Dice, the Fall
of a Bird, the Crawl
of a Worm, the Movement
of Stars, the Falling
of Snow, the Blowing
of Wind, the Loss
of Sight, the Suffering
of Saints, the Choice
of a leader…and the Death of All
— these are included in the Word of God: “I will accomplish All My Purpose” — from the Smallest to the Greatest.
God’s Sovereignty is Over All Human Actions: W
hen we turn from the natural world to the world of human actions and human choice, God’s Sovereignty is just as Extensive
God says, “‘I Will Accomplish All My purpose’ — from the Smallest to the Greatest.”
Listen Closely: Whoever the next President is, he will Not be Sovereign…He Will Be Governed. And we should Pray for him that he would know this: Prov. 2:11 says, “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will”
When the President engages in foreign affairs he will Not be Decisive—God Will
- You should vote on November 3RD on the candidates and on the amendments.
- But let there be No Man-Exalting Illusion as Though Mere Human Beings Will be the Decisive Cause in Any Victory or Loss.
- God alone will have that Supreme Role. Daniel 2: 21 and 4:17 say...“He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will”
- Ps 33:10-11 “The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations”.
When nations came to do their absolute worst, namely the murder of the Son of God, Jesus Christ, they had Not slipped out of God’s control
…But were doing His Sweetest Bidding at their worst moment: Acts 4: 27-28. “Truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place”
Therefore…Boasting Is Excluded:
- The worst sin that ever happened was in God’s Plan, and by that sin, Sin Died!
Our salvation was Secured on Calvary Under the Sovereign Hand of God. And, if You are a Believer in Jesus, if You Love Him, You are a Walking Miracle.
YOU: There may have been a hundred horrible things in Your life.
- 2 Tim 24-25 says, God Granted You Repentance.
- John 6:44 says, God Drew You to Christ.
- Matthew 11:27 says that, God Revealed Himself to You.
- Ephesians 2:8-9 Makes it Clear that God Gave You the Gift of Faith. “By grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast”.
- The Sovereignty of God “In Our Salvation” Excludes Boasting.
- But if today you are moved to treasure Christ as your Lord and Savior…You can Write Over Every One of those Horrors the Words of Genesis 50:20 which says, “You Intended to Harm Me…But God Intended it For GOOD…”
: “ In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.”
That Means All things
— from the Roll of the Dice, to the Circuits of Stars. From the Death of Jesus, and the Gift of Your Repentance and Faith…To the Rise of Presidents. GOD PURPOSED EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD AND IN YOUR LIFE!
With this said, How Does God’s Sovereignty Impact the Christians Responsibility to Vote?
It is About Stewardship…CHRISTIANS ARE STEWARDS OF THE BALLOT BOX, JUST LIKE WE ARE STEWARDS OF EVERYTHING ELSE GOD HAS GIVEN US
As a Pastor, My Responsibility is to Help Educate and Equip You To Think Biblically About Political Issues, Candidates and Party Platforms as it Relates to Christian Stewardship!
When it Comes to Abortion and the Personhood of the Unborn, the Bible is Clear—Life Begins at Conception and Abortion is Murder.
(see Ex. 21:22; Ps. 139:13-16, 22:10, 51:5-6; Job 3:3; Jer. 1:4-5; Isa. 49:1; Luke 1:39-45; Gal. 1:15).16
Consider: The issue of infanticide
has also become part of the recent political conversation.
Infanticide, the Killing of Infants Born Alive,
[Unbelievable to Me]
has now entered the political discussion in 2019 when New York repealed a section of the state’s public health law that had protected children born alive during failed abortions.
Regarding Marriage, the Bible is Straightforward and Defines Marriage as a Lifelong Covenant between a Man and a Woman
(Gen. 2:24, Matt. 19:5, Mark 10:6- 9, Eph. 5:22-23). Scripture is also very clear on the Immoral status of homosexual conduct
(Gen. 19:1-5; Lev. 18:22, 20:13, Rom. 1:24-28; 1 Cor. 6:9-11;1 Tim. 1:10-11).17
On Both Life and Sexuality, the Bible is Unequivocal. When it comes to the Issues of Abortion and Marriage/Sexuality today, the Republican and Democratic national party positions fundamentally Disagree. You Need to be Informed What the Bible Says…
AND WHEN YOU VOTE THE BIBLE…YOU WILL HONOR GOD…AND HE WILL BLESS!
Christians are Called to Honor God in Every Area of Our Lives
. Therefore, We Should Seek to Submit Everything to the Lord…Including Our Political Engagement.
For the Christian…Engaging in Politics is Not Only Unavoidable, it is Also an Opportunity to Honor God and Show Love to Our Neighbors.
with our right to vote, have a unique opportunity and duty
to affect the political process. Christians should, therefore, Prayerfully Approach the Issue of Political Engagement and Seek Godly Counsel. ***HANDOUT ON PRAYING FOR ELECTION
We Must Filter All Issues, Candidates, and Party Platforms Through a Christian Worldview [GODLY LENSES] and Submit Them to God’s Word.
Voting is a Matter of Godly Stewardship, as Christians We should be encouraged and equipped to Steward Our Vote in a way that Honors God and loves Our Neighbors
POINT: CHRISTIANS, MUST FOLLOW GODS WORD BY VOTING FOR CANDIDATES AND PARTIES THAT SUPPORT CLEAR BIBLICAL VALUES AND PRINCIPLES