PART 2 OLIVET DISCOURSE: AUGUST 26, 2018
HOW TRIBULATION CONTINUES-MATTHEW 15-31
Matt 24: 15-31: “So, when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation, spoken of through the prophet Daniel let the reader understand 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. 22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you ahead of time. 26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather. 29 “Immediately after the distress of those days “‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.” 30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
Verse 15: Refers to the Antichrist breaking his covenant with the nation of Israel.
- This was prophesied in Dan 9:27, and will be fulfilled during the Tribulation Period.
- The Antichrist’s sin will amount to him entering the Holy of Holies in the newly constructed Temple in Jerusalem…He will declare himself to be God and will demand that the world fall before him in worship.
- Before this prophecy can be fulfilled, the Temple must first be constructed in Jerusalem…For many years this seemed to be an absolute impossibility.
- However, recent years have seen the rebirth of the nation of Israel, and have brought about the real possibility of this happening in the very near future. You can count on it!
Vs 16-29 Speak about very Terrifying Days: The second 3 ½ years of the Tribulation.
- They will be days of such a horrible nature that they are almost unbelievable.
- There will be 2 sets of intense judgments that will take place during the latter half of the Tribulation…The Trumpet Judgments and the Bowl Judgments.
Revelation Chapters 8-11 Outlines the Trumpet Judgments
- The 1st Trumpet – Rev. 8:7 – 1/3 of the Earth’s green vegetation is destroyed.
- The 2nd Trumpet – Rev. 8:8-9 – 1/3 of the oceans becomes blood and 1/3 of the life in the sea is destroyed. 1/3 of the world’s shipping is also destroyed.
- The 3rd Trumpet – Rev. 8:10-11 -Refers to a type of meteor that falls into the water supplies and pollute 1/3 of the fresh water of the world.
- The 4th Trumpet – Rev. 8:12 – 1/3 of the Sun, Moon, Stars turned dark…Also 1/3 of the day and Night was without light.
- Before the 5th Trumpet sounds, an angel flies through Heaven pronouncing 3 woes upon the earth. Things are about to take a turn for the worse. Rev. 8:13
- The 5th Trumpet – Rev. 9:1-12 – The earth is invaded by an army of demons from the pits of Hell. The demons have the power to torment men for 5 months.
- They won’t kill men, but the pain will be so intense that men will want to die, but they will be unable to achieve death! Hell will literally visit the earth!
- The 6th Trumpet – Rev. 9:13-21 – An army of 200,000,000 invades and the results of this invasion will be that 1/3 of the human population will be destroyed
- Note: when this event is coupled with the 4th Seal, it means that over 1/2 of the population of earth has been killed.
- The 7th Trumpet – Rev. 11:15-19 – This trumpet announces the soon return of the Lord Jesus. It also introduces the seven Bowl Judgments.
Revelation Chapter 16 Outlines the Bowl Judgments:
- The First Bowl – Rev. 16:2: A kind of vile cancerous sore is poured out on mankind.
- The Second Bowl – Rev. 16:3 – The waters of the sea are turned to blood and every creature in the sea dies.
- The Third Bowl – Rev. 16:4-7 – The fresh waters of the earth are turned to blood.
- The Fourth Bowl – Rev. 16:8-9 – The sun’s heat is intensified and men’s bodies are burned by the heat of the sun. Yet, with all these torments, they do not repent!
- The Fifth Bowl – Rev. 16:10 – This plague brings darkness and intense pain to the inhabitants of the earth…They gnaw their tongues in pain, yet still refuse to repent.
- The Sixth Bowl – Rev. 16:12-14 – The Euphrates River is dried up preparing a pathway for the nations of the earth to descend upon Israel for the final conflict.
- The Seventh Bowl – Rev. 16:17-21 – This bowl brings an earthquake of such magnitude that the islands of the sea sink and all the mountains of the earth fall down flat. On top of this, all the major cities of the earth will be destroyed!
Vs 30-31 TELLS US HOW TRIBULATION CONCLUDES: “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
Vs 30a: The Triumphant Savior’s Appearing. Jesus will return in great power and glory at the end of the Tribulation Period. He will destroy the Antichrist and all his followers in one moment.
Vs 30b The Terrified Sinner’s Agonizing
- When the world experiences the return of Christ in glory, they will react in terror. They will gather their armies together at Jerusalem to fight what is known as the battle of Armageddon.
- It is at this battle that the blood will run “to the horses’ bridles”, Rev. 14:20.
- The armies of the Antichrist and of all the armies of the world will be destroyed with the Word of the Lord Jesus! Jesus will return, not as a meek Lamb, but as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah!
- These people had refused to bow before Him under grace, they refused to bow under judgment…Now it is too late for them to Bow.
- The Antichrist and the False Prophet will be cast alive in the Lake of Fire and all their followers will be obliterated in an instant of time!
Vs 31 Tells us that after Jesus has returned and defeated the armies of His enemies, He will gather together the saints and they will enter alive into the Millennium.
This 7-Year Tribulation period will be a time more terrible than men can imagine. The people of God do not have to fear these things. However, the question you must answer is are you ready for the return of the Lord Jesus? Are you saved? Have you made the decision to make Christ Your Lord and Savior? If not, you can, all you need to do is to come to Jesus by faith and He will save you.