August 11 Sermon NOTES: Living In “View Of Eternity” (1 Peter 4:7-11)
Question: Are you living with a View of Eternity? Are You living as though Christ could come today? A Proper View of Eternity Drastically Affects How We Live.
TEXT: 1 Peter 4:7-11 “The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen”.
Peter says, that a proper view of the end times, changes how we live, invest our lives, even suffer.
What are the negative effects of having an unhealthy view of the end times? First, we must be aware that living with an unhealthy view of the end times can often push people to incorrect extremes.
- In 2 Thessalonians 3:11 Some people had stopped working, as they anxiously waited for the return of Christ. A wrong view of the end times brought laziness.
- In Luke 12:45the servant who thought that the master was delaying his coming began to beat the other servants, live in waste, and get drunk. A lack of concern for the end times can at times encourage sin. [Focus on Us…Not Gods Plan]
This incorrect view of Eternity has caused the church to take its eyes off of Our Mission…Reaching People for Christ! Instead of focusing on the Mission of the Church…We can become consumed with this life and charting and trying to figure out the exact dates.
Now, listen to some of the benefits of living with a proper view of the end times.
1 John 3:2-3 “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure”.
KEY: A proper view of Christ’s imminent return will cause us to prepare. Purify Ourselves, in preparation of his coming…And Deliver believers…US from the Strongholds of Sin.
The difficult task for the believer is to at all times prepare for the future and at the same time be prepared for Christ to Come Today. We are to Simply, “Live as though Christ is Coming Back today, but Plan as if He’s not coming back in your lifetime.” Without this Focus A Life Becomes Unbalanced!
In Our Text, the believers were being mocked, ridiculed and burned at the stake, he comforts them with Christ is Coming Soon! This should comfort and enable US to persevere through difficult times.
We Should Ask Ourselves 3 Questions: 1. Am I living in View of Eternity? 2. What does a person look like who is living with this view? 3. How can I better Live this way, to be pleasing to my coming Lord?
Peter, gives us the Characteristics that should define each of us who are living with a view towards eternity and the coming of Christ? Christians are to have a Focused Prayer Life…Love other Believers Deeply…Practice Hospitality without Complaining…And Use Our Spiritual Gifts to Glorify God
In Vs 7 Paul gives us the first Characteristic, the Christian Must Have a Focused Prayer Life. Therefore, be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. The word translated clear mind literally means to be in one’s right mind. The primary way the Christian does this is by having a biblical worldview.
- Romans 12: A mind that is full of Scripture will Not be Conformed to this world’s Thinking. Rather they will be in their right mind.
Paul also said that to have a focused prayer life, required we be self-controlled. The word “self-controlled” can be translated “sober” or, free of intoxicants…Which can refer to both spiritual and physical intoxicants.
- Christians can become intoxicated with materialism, idolatry and worldly pursuits in order to pacify themselves during trials; and not have soberness in viewing the events happening around them.
Trials also tend to be a catalyst in drawing people into addictions to alcohol, cigarettes and any other drug, instead of Dependence Solely on God. These actions/attitudes are not appropriate responses to trials.
The Christian with a sober mind, full of the Word, “awake” and “alert” will properly interpret the events happening and be drawn to seeking God in Prayer. The “Sober-Minded” Christian will be alert to the attack of the devil, things happening in society, the needs of others…And He Will Be Self-Controlled!
Second Vs 8 says, the Christian Living in View of Eternity will Love Others Deeply.
- Matthew 22. The Great Commandment “Love God…Love People!”
- As we Surrender to God each day…His Holy Spirit will Give us His Love for People.
Third Vs 9 says, This person will practice Hospitality without Complaining.
- Rom 12: 13 “Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality”.
- Titus 1:8 “Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.”
- Hospitality is about being Christ to Others!
Lastly, Vs 10 says, The Christian Living in View of Eternity will use their Spiritual Gifts to Build up the Church and Reach the World for Jesus Christ.
- Ephesians 4:11: “And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers”.
- Ephesians 4:15-16: “But speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.”
We will continue to Struggle with Our Prayer Life, Loving Others Deeply, Showing Hospitality to Others and Using Our God given Spiritual Gifts to Reach the Lost and Build up the Church! Until We Choose to live in View of Eternity, Satan will get us down…I Failed Again…And think what’s the Use!
What the Apostle Paul said in Phil 3:13-14 encourages us to Live with Eternity in View: “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus”.
Living in View of Eternity will Drastically Change Your life and My Life…Because…
- Only in View of Eternity, Christians Will have a Focused Prayer Life.
- Only in View of Eternity, Christians Will Love other Believers Deeply
- Only in View of Eternity, Christians Will Practice Hospitality without Complaining
- Only in View of Eternity, Christians Will Use their Spiritual Gifts to Glorify God
POINT: A Correct View of Eternity Enables Us to Have Real Ministry Here on Earth!