Thanksgiving 2019 PSALM 100
Psalm 100 “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.2 Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. 3 Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.5 For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations”.
- Bottom of Form
- In Vs 4 God Invites Us to Daily Enter His Presence with Thanksgiving. [Gates & Courts]
Have You Ever thought, “What is the Presence of God?
- It is inescapable: Ps 139:7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
- It is Jesus with us: Matt 28:20 “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- It is the Holy Spirit indwelling us: John 14:16-17 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”
We Need to Ask Ourselves…“What do I do with the Presence of God in My Life Now?”
- Is it a daily experience or every once in a while? Does God’s Presence take your breath away…Create an Attitude of Awe…OR are You too preoccupied with Other Things to Notice Him?
- Are You drawing closer to God or do You find yourself fleeing from His presence?
POINT: It is The Presence of God in My Life That Makes Me Thankful!
Psalm 100 Verses 1-3 God Tells Us How to be Thankful:
Vs-1 (Make a JOYFUL noise) A joyful noise is not merely noise for its own sake. Our world is filled with noise, much of it harmful or distracting. A joyful noise is a bold declaration of God’s glorious name and nature, with shouts, clapping, and other outward expressions of praise.
- Some Pretend to be making a Joyful noise to the Lord, when in truth they are merely showing off.
- Hysterical emotionalism, bizarre noises, and screaming are not found in scriptural worship.
- The joyful noise God desires does not draw attention to the noise-maker or disrupt others.
- A joyful noise begins within a pure heart and radiates upward, finding expression in ways that honor God. When Joy Overflows, Our Actions Reflect that Joy!
A Joyful heart Shines the Truth of what We Believe to the World…And This Matters.
- Christians are not immune to hardship, trial, and suffering. However, we experience them differently than those in the World…We have hope in the darkness of trials!
- Peter said, “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.”
- We should expect and be ready for instances where people approach us, asking, “Why are you so Hopeful?” How Can You Go Through This and Be Joyful?
- We can mourn circumstances that are hard and at the same time rejoice in a God who works all things for good. Romans 8:28
Glad Service – 2a (Serve the Lord with Gladness)
- Philippians 4:4 – Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
- We Show Ourselves to be Thankful When We Find JOY in Serving!
- If Your Attitude is Right about Serving God you will have Joy in Your Serving God.
As Christians, we can also serve God with a Sad and Unwilling Spirit?
- When you serve the Lord with an unwilling spirit, or with a murmuring and grumbling heart, then you’re not serving Him at all. Believers, have an abundance of JOY Serving Others & the Lord.
- But to experience that Joy in Serving the Lord, We First Need to Praise God with Thanksgiving…This Requires that You Spend Time in His Presence.
Singing – 2b (come before His Presence with Singing)
- Everyone should have a song in their heart: You may not be able to carry a tune but you can lift up your voice with a Praise from your heart that will be a Joy to the Lord.
Worshipful – 3a (Know that the Lord He is God)
- Worship is ascribing worth to another. Question…What is God Worth to You?
- Ps 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
Humble – 3b (we are His People and the Sheep of His Pasture)
- Humility recognizes the Value of Others before or as much as self.
- Recognizing that We are HIS people – Chosen, Forgiven and Justified…Leads Us to Humility! We are HIS sheep – Needing His guidance and feeding in HIS pasture.
Verse 5 Gives Us The Motivation for Being Thankful:
The Lord is Good…His Goodness is Based on His Mercy and Truth. He is Good because that is His nature (kindness, generous, patient, loving) He is Good because He Saves…He is Good because He Keeps Us.
His Mercy: Spurgeon: So long as We are Receivers of Mercy, We Must be Givers of Thanks.
- His Mercy Extends to All…Is Evidenced in Salvation…And therefore is Seen in Our Daily Lives as we are Thankful in Every Circumstance!
His Truth is an Indispensable Attribute of God…His Word is Truth…You can count on His Unchanging Truth! John 14:6 – Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
The Lord is Faithful! His Faithfulness Continues Through All Generations.
- Hebrews 10:23 For he who promised is faithful. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- 2 Timothy 2:13If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.
What will you share this Thanksgiving about God and His goodness, mercy and truth? Will You be One that Expresses Thanks to Him Daily…Or Just on Occasion? Will You Thankful No Matter What?
The giving of Thanks to God for all His blessings should be one of the most distinctive marks of the believer in Jesus Christ.
- We must Not allow a spirit of ingratitude to harden our heart and chill our relationship with God and with others. Nothing turns us into bitter, selfish, dissatisfied people more quickly than ingratitude!
- And nothing will do more to restore contentment and Joy than a true spirit of Thankfulness.
From one end of the Bible to the other, we are commanded to be Thankful:
- Thank God Daily for the Material Blessings That He Gives You and Me
- Thank God for the People in Your Life: It is so easy to take people for granted, or even to complain and become angry because they do not meet our every wish.
- Thank God in the Midst of Trials and Even Persecution: In the midst of Our trials we can thank God, because we know that He has promised to be with us and that He will help us.
- Thank God Especially for His Salvation in Jesus Christ: God has given us the greatest Gift of all—His Son, who died on the cross and rose again so that we can know Him personally and spend eternity with Him in heaven: “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” (2 Cor 9:15).
- Thank God for His Continued Presence and Power in Your Life
POINT: It is The Presence of God in My Life That Makes Me Thankful!