11.25.18: Faithful to Finish His Work in You Philippians 1:6
Phil 1:6: Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Note 3 Things we learn about God from this verse
- God takes the initiative in starting His work in you. He is the one who “begins a good work” in us
- God intends that all his children be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ.
- God will “carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
This means that God won’t be turned aside by difficulties of any kind. Even your own backsliding won’t hinder the accomplishment of His purpose. Someday you and I will stand before Jesus Christ as redeemed children of God holy, blameless…complete in every way. God has promised to do it and He cannot lie.
JUDE 1:24 says, “To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy.”
- First, there is the Power of God: “To him who is able to keep you from falling.”
- Second, there is the Purpose of God: “To present you before his glorious presence.”
- Third, there is the Promise of God: “Without fault and with great joy.”
Jude says that God’s purpose is to present us before the Lord without a single blemish. The Greek word for “without fault” comes from the temple sacrifices. It describes a lamb that is free from all defects. No cuts, broken bones, no spots, no diseases of any kind. God said, “Bring me a lamb without spot or don’t bring one at all.” He rejects defective sacrifice as unworthy of His Holiness.
We’re all struggling to make it from one day to the next, many of us live with a guilty conscience and a sense of our own failure. It is at this point that the words of Jude 24 become so important. Jesus intends to present us before his Fathers throne faultless, spotless, free from everything that in this life drags us down.
- When Sin is Confessed and Repentance made, they are covered by the blood of Jesus and judged at the Cross. All the failures of this life will be left far behind.
The little phrase “With Great Joy.” In Greek it means something like “with Unbridled Exultation.” We will enter heaven not with downcast eyes and somber faces, but singing and laughing and with shouts of eternal joy. “Hallelujah, by God’s Grace, we made it.”
Should You Struggle with Sin this week, remember, your present Struggle won’t last forever. One day the battle will be over and you will stand in God’s presence whole and complete, free from everything that drags you down in this life. You will enter heaven with a song on your lips.
Hebrews 13: 20-21 says, He equips us to do His will. Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen
- The word “equip” means to restore to proper working condition. It was used for getting an army ready for battle or sewing up a hole in a fishing net or setting an arm that was broken.
- God is willing to equip us to do everything he wants us to do.
- Said another way, God will never call us to do something, without also, and at the same time, equipping us to do it. Never. He simply will not do it.
POINT: Whatever You Have To Do This Week, God Will Equip You To Do It.
- Know this>>>God has already started arming you for battle.
- You don’t have to ask Him; He just does it because that’s the kind of God He is.
- He never calls you to a task without giving you what you need to get the job done.
To accomplish this God works in Us from the Inside Out. If You need courage, He works that in You. If You need compassion, He gives it to You. If You need integrity, He builds it in. If You need wisdom, He imparts the wisdom You need. If You need common sense, He finds a way to give it to You.
So many of us look at a difficult situation and pray, “Lord, Change My Situation.” That’s NOT Usually God’s Will. Much more often the difficult situation has come as a means of making us grow spiritually. (JAMES 1)
- God often Allows difficulty in our lives to deepen our total dependence on Him.
- When that happens, we ought to pray, “Lord, Change Me so that I can face this situation.” That’s a prayer God is pleased to answer.
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 He Promises to Complete His Work in Us. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.
When Jesus returns, two great things will happen for the believer: Our Character will be Revealed and Our Perfection will be Complete.
We all get Discouraged. Often, it seems as if the Christian life is three steps forward and two steps back.
- But God has a Purpose in our Spiritual Struggles…He wants us to depend on Him for Everything. He designed life so that it works only when He is in total charge of everything.
- When we try to run the show—things begin to fall apart. KEY: God Can—We Can’t!
- “The One who Calls You is Faithful”, is the foundation for the doctrine of eternal security.
- God is faithful to keep His promises. Our entire hope—both in this life and in the life to come—rests on the faithfulness of God. His faithfulness bears the entire weight of our puny efforts.
I picture God as a sculptor working with a rough piece of marble. He’s working on a big chunk named “Doug Knorr.” It’s a hard job because the chunk is badly marred, misshapen, discolored, and cracked in odd places. It’s about the worst piece of marble a sculptor could ever find.
But God is undeterred and He works patiently at his job, chipping away the bad parts, chiseling an image into the hard stone, stopping to polish here and there. One day he finally finishes one section of the statue.
However, the next morning when he returns to the studio that section is messed up. He says, “I thought I finished that yesterday…Who’s been messing with my statue?” With a guilty grin, I raise my hand.
- We’re our own worst enemies! What we thought would improve things only messed them up. But God is faithful. He picks up his chisel and goes back to work. He never quits half-way through!
The last 4 words of verse 24: “He Will Do It.” are simple and direct. No qualification, No hesitation, No doubt of any kind. Just 4 simple words: He Will Do It.
- Not “He may do it” or “He might do it” or “He could do it” or “He will do it if he feels like it.” Not even “He will do it if we do our part.” A simple declarative statement that God Will Do It!
- What matters is Not my strong hold on God, but His Strong Hold on You and Me.
Take-Away: God Wants You to Place Yourself Completely into His Trustworthy Hands…To Trust that He is the Master Designer and He will Continue to Accomplish His Perfect Plan in and through Your Life!
I encourage You to Not get Discouraged when you fail God…Satan wants You to get discouraged and feel guilty…Satan Always Condemns You…But GOD says, Confess, then start walking again with the Lord. God Wants YOU to Say, “Lord, here am I. Make me what you want me to be.
Phil 1:6 is Really about having true Faith in God’s Plan and Love For Us: “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”.