DECEMBER 30 SERMON: “FREEDOM FOR THE NEW YEAR!”
Many Christians say, I’ve tried…Yet it Seems I still Fall Short of many of those Commitments! If that’s how You’re Feeling as you enter 2019…I want You to know 2 things:
- First, I don’t believe there’s a Christian who doesn’t feel frustrated with falling short of their commitment to Christ and
- Second, this coming year, God wants You to Allow His Resurrection Power to Transform You, so that He may Grow You in His Grace.
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. [GODS PLAN FOR US!]
Ephesians. 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds-and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
This year is filled with hope for a better future in Christ. Whatever your “Issue”, You can release it into the capable hands of the ultimate Life-Changer.
- When we desire change, the perfect example to follow is: Jesus Christ.
- When we’re ready to implement change, the perfect guide is: His Word.
- We have the perfect power source to strengthen our resolve: His Spirit.
As We Pursue Change God’s Way…Then God’s Hope for Us to Have a more successful future with Christ is no longer a Dream…But Rather Our Reality!
As we Surrender to God…He Takes Our Burden of Trying and Replaces it with His Power to Experience Freedom in our lives today, tomorrow, and forever.
- Freedom…Is Simply the Choice to Let Christ Work Daily in Our Lives!
The word FREEDOM is an Acronym to outline the steps we take to find Freedom from those things that Hold Us back in Growing in Christ’s Grace.
F…ollow Him Forward: “May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had” (Rom15:5).
- We are to follow Christ. As we pursue Him and seek to imitate His ways, we move forward in our process of change. No slip-sliding backwards.
R…epent Readily: “But if they repent of their wicked lives, I will think twice and start over with them” (Jeremiah 18:9, MSG).
- When we repent, God will think again and start over with us. A new beginning… And lead us to exactly what we are seeking. When we admit and repent of our sins and shortcomings, God is faithful to forgive and make us white like snow. Clean.
- No Matter what it may be…Don’t wait another moment…Just Give it to God!
E…arnestly Pray: “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”(Eph 6:18)
- Prayers are incredibly powerful. They are the foundation for any life change we desire. As we earnestly pray, we’ll be empowered by the one true power source.
- Soren Kierkegaard put it this way: “The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
- God’s Word says, Pray persistently, Remain alert, and consider our Christian brothers and sisters everywhere. Life Change Always Begins with Prayer.
E…njoy the Journey: “Then Hannah prayed and said: “My heart rejoices in the Lord;
in the Lord my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in your deliverance.” (1 Samuel 2:1).
- This can be one of the toughest Steps…To Daily Rejoice in the Lord!
- As we go through each day, we can get so focused on the destination [What We Need to Accomplish] that we forget to enjoy the journey.
- If all we do is Focus on reaching the destination…We Miss So Much on the Way!
- Enjoy God’s journey. He has planned a perfect path just for you.
D…evour His Word: Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart”.
- God’s Word is the ultimate food for our thoughts, nourishment for our souls, and the map we must follow on our journey to grow in Christ!
- When the Holy Spirit “Speaks to us” we need quit ignoring Him and dive into and devour God’s Word and He Will Nourish Us.
O…pen Your Heart and Mind to His Truth: Proverbs 3:5 says, Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding”.
- To Trust God is to Do What He Ask and Expect What He Promises!
- To grasp God’s truth, pray for an open heart and an open mind.
- To better Receive the Truth, Know the Truth, and Obey the Truth when we Hear it. We Must Be Prepared to Hear the Lord Speak…And He Will!
M…ake New Friends and Move Mountains: Col 3:12-13 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you”
- As we walk in Godly love for one another, Daily forgiving, encouraging, and helping each other, we’ll experience the Power of God’s Holy Spirit!
Change can be challenging, but this New Year, as we journey together down the road to freedom, let’s stay focused on the One guiding us: Jesus Christ.
So, if You Desire to Make a New Year’s resolution…Here are some suggestions:
- Pray to the Lord for Wisdom (James 1:5) regarding what resolutions, if any, He would have you make;
- Pray for wisdom as to how to fulfill the goals God gives you;
- Rely on God’s strength to help you;
- Find an accountability partner who will help you and encourage you;
- Don’t become discouraged with occasional failures; instead, allow them to motivate you further; [God, Don’t Let Me Miss What You Want Me To Learn Through This]
- Don’t become proud or vain, but give God the glory.
Psalm 37:5-6: “Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.”